UKC

Time between ML training and Assessment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 llanberis36 18 Nov 2016
How long do you have to leave between ML summer training and assessment. I have a number of years experience prior to the training
 Pete Pozman 18 Nov 2016
In reply to llanberis36:
What feedback did you get at the end of your training? What comments did they make about the experience cited in your logbook?
If you're right on top of your game I'd certainly do it within the year. If your feedback suggests you need to beef up your experience, just follow the advice.
In reply to llanberis36:

I think they say a minimum of 3 months.

I did my training in April this year and assessment in August, BUT I did have well over 100 QMDs logged and got another 20 and a lot of navigation/rope Practise between training and assessment.
OP llanberis36 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Sorry wasnt clear, am doing my training in March next year. Over the last number of years have done many quality days in the peak and wales
 jezb1 18 Nov 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

There's no set time. If you had the pre reqs you could do the assessment the week after training.

You'll get feedback after your training, a lot depends on where you're at already and how much spare time you have for consolidation.
 bonebag 18 Nov 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

When I did my training it was suggested to do it within 1 to 2 years but I guess it will depend on the individual. I wish I had as it's now 10 years since I did my training so think I will have to start again. There is no time bar yet as far as I know. However 10 years begs the question do I really want to do it.
 Roadrunner5 18 Nov 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

I booked as soon as I could, I think it was 2-3 months just out of timing/availability.
 Doug 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Probably been changed but long time ago when I thought of getting an ML it was possible to go straight to the assessment with no training
 jezb1 18 Nov 2016
In reply to Doug:
> Probably been changed but long time ago when I thought of getting an ML it was possible to go straight to the assessment with no training

You can apply for exemption and not do the training. Those people often struggle (not always) on assessment though as they don't know what's required in the same way as someone who's done the training course.

Not many people do this.
Post edited at 19:06
In reply to llanberis36:

The course director on your training course will give you clear advice and feedback including suggested timescales etc. I would wait until then as they will have more idea than a group of people on a forum who have not seen you in the hills
 Pete Pozman 19 Nov 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

Just one piece of advice :expect rigour. Oh and do enjoy it.
 LucaC 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Training in June, assessment in November, with about 3 weeks of time spent on the hill in Scotland, and one in Snowdonia in between. Seemed to work out OK with me, but I was up on QMDs and could just get out and practice what I felt I needed to.
In reply to llanberis36:

I left about 7 years, not through choice!
Removed User 19 Nov 2016
In reply to jezb1:

In addition, the assessors know who has not already done the training course and they WILL look at you more critically than people who have been through all of the "system". Just do the training and assessment at the same place.
As for time between the two, I did my training in the spring and assessment in the autumn. If you have the experience and QMDs then just go for it.
 Roadrunner5 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Doug:

Exemptions are hard to get and will be assessed harder as it's the only time they get to see you.

I thought the training was great, not in terms of learning too much but more the standards required, I could nav well but didn't realise we'd need that level of nav.
 jezb1 19 Nov 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

The standard candidates are assessed to is the same regardless of whether they've done a training or gained exemption.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...