UKC

Best Single Exercise Kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 19 Nov 2016
Dark evenings and no time for long round trip to a gym. Space for either a cross trainer or a rowinh machine. Going to spend 200-300 only.

Which would you get and why. I'm torn between foldable rowing machine (to make it tidy when not used) and a cross trainer. O was going to go rowing, but the cross trainer might but less stress on my back of its the only workout equipment.
 marsbar 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Philip:

I'm no expert, but as far as I know rowing should strengthen the core muscles and so should help keep your back safer.
 angry pirate 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Philip:

I have an arthritic back and plumped for an elliptical trainer which I use every other night. Not great for core but it is great cardio and superb for hill fitness as it has a high resistance setting.
For core work I just do general calisthenics, pull ups, fingerboard etc or even sometimes go climbing.
Fwiw, I find rowing machined really boring but I can jump on the cross trainer for an hour and watch a film. (I tend to watch horror as you don't really need to engage brain and they are more fun with an elevated heart rate)
 Bootrock 19 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:
Depends entirely on your rowing technique. But effectively yes. If you are concerned about your back then look for a few simple exercises to strengthen your core.

You would need a suitable and sound warm up before hand. And get your technique sorted. And learn to use the "levels" don't just rely on banging it to max chat and going mental on it.

Rowing is an awesome exercise though crack that 7 min mark and your doing well.

youtube.com/watch?v=oP6OR-G7AxM&

youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8&

If you want something to just jump on and blast a few kms then maybe a xtrainer is the way for you.
Post edited at 10:57
OP Philip 19 Nov 2016
I've not got any back problems, I just want to avoid them, and using a single piece of kit I was concerned.
 Bootrock 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Philip:

As long as you warm up and your tekkers is alright on the Rower, you should be fine. When I was younger I used to jump on, bang it on max and go for it. But then I learned the technique and how to use it, and my times increased, and my enjoyment of it.

Let us know which one you go for.
 La benya 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Philip:

Buy a bar and 100kg worth of weight? Far more versatile than either machine. Deadlifts are probably the best 'single exercise'.
 MG 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Philip:

If it's temporary you want, your can rent concept 2 rowing machines.
OP Philip 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

Going for cross trainer, as the wife prefers it, and I'm ambivalent. Also, I think a cross trainer might be better quality in that price range. Just pleased there are no strong arguments against either.
In reply to Philip:

Buy a beastmaker (£80), Pair of gymnastic rings and a copy of Gimme Kraft (£80). Very little space required.
Exit your house in spring crushing everything in sight.
Simple.
 aln 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Philip:

Not the rowing machine. You need something taller, with handles, so when you get bored after three weeks and stop using it, at least you have somewhere to hang stuff like dirty washing...
 Bootrock 19 Nov 2016
In reply to Philip:
Is that like compromising? The wife wants something, you want something else, so you compromise and get what the wife wants?
Post edited at 23:42
In reply to Philip:

I wouldn't bother with either. All you need is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BalanceFrom-All-Purpose-Anti-Tear-Exercise-Carryin...

Along with a book, DVD or a few lessons which will probably cost you less than a grand total of £50 and is way better for you than any other exercise.
 Wsdconst 20 Nov 2016
In reply to aln:

My treadmill makes an excellent open wardrobe for hanging clothes on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...