UKC

Morse Code

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WaterMonkey 21 Nov 2016
Myself and my two daughters (14 and 16) decided to learn Morse code yesterday just for the hell of it. In just one day we have learnt all 26 letters and the 10 numbers.

I'm pretty impressed how easy it was to learn and now we can send each other secret messages and signal for help if we get stuck down a well..

Do many people have this skill still or is it dead in the water?
 Greasy Prusiks 21 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:

.-- .... .- - .- .-- .- ... - . --- ..-. - .. -- . .-.-.-

Required text
 LastBoyScout 21 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Many people listen to Morse code without even realising it - usually whenever a text message arrives.

...--... = SMS
 jkarran 21 Nov 2016
In reply to John Andrew-Andrew John:

Good to see you back John but baffled by why you consider Morse very important.
jk
OP WaterMonkey 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

--. --- --- -.. / ..-. ..- -. / - .... --- ..- --. ....

required text
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Many people listen to Morse code without even realising it - usually whenever a text message arrives.

> ...--... = SMS

I never knew that!
In reply to WaterMonkey:

- .-. ..- . .-.-.-

Required text
baron 21 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:
Well done.
What speeds are you sending/receiving at?
KevinD 21 Nov 2016
In reply to jkarran:

> Good to see you back John but baffled by why you consider Morse very important.

Have you seen the murder rate in Oxford? Without him the unresolved crimes would be skyhigh.
 Dave Garnett 21 Nov 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> Have you seen the murder rate in Oxford? Without him the unresolved crimes would be skyhigh.

There's a message in the the title music in Morse.
In reply to baron:

> Well done.

> What speeds are you sending/receiving at?

hahaha very slowly and just reading/ writing it at the moment!

> - .-. ..- . .-.-.-

> Required text

What is the .-.-.- at the end?
In reply to WaterMonkey:

It was meant to say "True." but I'm not very good at morse code!
 Bootrock 21 Nov 2016
> Hello mate, so you're stuck on a route, with injured party member, who's going into shock, and no mobile phone signal. And you have both a whistle and torch; Well you can communicate with both helo, and guys on the ground.

International distress signal for that. No point starting huge messages with aircrew who have more important stuff to worry about. As long as they can locate you. Then they will do the rest, that's their job. Plus I don't think Civvie Pilots have been required to know Morse code for some time, if at all. military pilots used to have to, but I think it might have been binned for some time now. I would imagine it's most useful in the nautical side of things, I am sure it's required by the Royal Navy in certain trades and ranks to learn it.

But it's an interesting skill to have, I used to know it but think I have forgotten most of it. Might brush up on it.
Post edited at 11:28

> It was meant to say "True." but I'm not very good at morse code!

It did say "true" but at the end you put .-.-.- you also put it at the end of your "What a waste of time" message!
I saw it yesterday too so was wondering if it was an exclamation mark or something?
 FesteringSore 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

> Plus I don't think Civvie Pilots have been required to know Morse code for some time, if at all. military pilots used to have to, but I think it might have been binned for some time now.

The idents for aeronautical nav aids(VOR, NDB, ILS) are presumably still transmitted in Morse so a knowledge would still be required surely.
 Bootrock 21 Nov 2016

> Yes international distress signal is effectively morse. Yeah maybe extraction teams don't have the time, but nowt wrong with having alternate comms. Lots of examples, such as you could be over Cham and send your mate down in the valley a message

Very true, 2 is 1 and 1 is none and all that.

Bootrock 21 Nov 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

> The idents for aeronautical nav aids(VOR, NDB, ILS) are presumably still transmitted in Morse so a knowledge would still be required surely.

Good point! I didn't think of that. I was only thinking of Morse as a way to communicate with people. One of my best mates is a pilot, I might drop him a message.
In reply to WaterMonkey:

I thought it was a full stop? Might be mistaken it's been a while.
In reply to WaterMonkey:

There's now a Geordie version know as Lewis code - but it's nowhere near as good.
 Phil4000 21 Nov 2016

The morse code is written on the approach procedure or nav chart next to the beacon ident details so no one really learns morse anymore.
 Pedro50 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

> There's now a Geordie version know as Lewis code - but it's nowhere near as good.

I will endeavour to master it.
 Tim Davies 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Phil4000:
Yes, morse code still reqd for commercial pilots. Yes it's displayed on the chart but it's not very practical to use that all the time, especially whilst doing something else, in the dark etc etc
Jim C 21 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:

What about Braille, you could learn that too, but it might take you more than a day ?
 johnjohn 21 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:

There's a scene in an Iain Banks novel, the Crow Road I think but could be wrong, where a couple use it to communicate words not yet ready to be spoken - ... .--. . .-.. .-.. .. -. --. / .. / .-.. --- ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ...- .. .- / .--. --- ... - / ... . -..- / -.-. .-.. . -. -.-. .... .. -. --.
 wercat 21 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:
AAA means full stop.

Morse was the original Texting, going back to the 19th century

did your source tell you how to pronounce it as dit and dahs? Good way of picking up the rhythm of the sounds

Post edited at 21:58
 birdie num num 21 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:

We used to have to transmit and receive at 26 words per minute by Aldis Lamp when I was a Nav cadet.
dot dot dot, dot dot dot dot, dot dot, da.
It was shit
In reply to johnjohn:

> There's a scene in an Iain Banks novel, the Crow Road I think but could be wrong, where a couple use it to communicate words not yet ready to be spoken - ... .--. . .-.. .-.. .. -. --. / .. / .-.. --- ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ...- .. .- / .--. --- ... - / ... . -..- / -.-. .-.. . -. -.-. .... .. -. --.

Spelling I love you via post sex clenching??
 Billhook 21 Nov 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

I'm afraid your memory is poor. Maximum possible speed by light is 14wpm!
 birdie num num 21 Nov 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

You're undoubtedly right. We used to have a bunfight in signals classes. But we passed! It was a long time ago
 Jim Fraser 22 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:
-.-. --.-

My recollection is that Morse Code fell from use in marine wireless telegraphy in February 1999, to be replaced by Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) as directed by IMO Convention. However, listening stations across the world had been closing down all through the 1990s.

The wireless telegraphy distress frequency was 500kHz. Only the simplest classes of emission were permitted with 10kHz of the distress frequency and all vessels were required to be able to receive the simplest A2A class that is essentially just on and off keying of a modulated tone that can be heard on any AM receiver. Some lifeboat radios also transmitted on 8364kHz so that airliners could pick them up although for years there had been confusion between the maritime and aeronautical users about that.

(If my mobile phone rings in a crowded room you can spot the old morse guys twitching as CQCQ rings out across the room!)
Post edited at 02:23
 Billhook 22 Nov 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Morse code is still widely used by radio amateurs - I am one !! I was also a radio operator in the RN.

Elsewhere its use commercially was discontinued in 1999 as mentioned by Jim Frazer.

You have done really well! I hear many amateurs who struggle to learn /memorise the alphabet, let alone ever send/receive it properly. The secret is plenty of practise of course.

Good luck!
 jkarran 22 Nov 2016

> The idents for aeronautical nav aids(VOR, NDB, ILS) are presumably still transmitted in Morse so a knowledge would still be required surely.

The morse code is shown visually as dots and dashes on VFR charts at least, no interpretation required.
jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...