UKC

congratulations to nico rosberg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
World champion, at last...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38123465

Maybe not the greatest driver ever, but from the reports, hard working and well liked by team mates in the garage, Iif not by the other team driver. A deserved victory, and next season could be the most interesting in some time. ...
 Bulls Crack 27 Nov 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

And hopefully gets that t*sser Hamilton off the SPOTY list
Gone for good 27 Nov 2016

Disagree on all counts. It's been a long time since someone as unworthy as Rosberg has won the F1 title.
 Tyler 27 Nov 2016

In what way is it deserved? He got a job for which is handsomely rewarded, by dint of his connections (and talent no doubt but I expect the connections are key). He performed adequately at best, I'm not sure he deserves to be feted.
In reply to Bulls Crack:
Sadly, yes. Much as I try to warm to Hamilton I struggle. Stuff like this doesn't help:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2016/11/25/lewis-hamilton-needles-nico...

To compare across sports, last week novak djokovic gave a lesson in how to behave when your underdog rival finally beats you. That reinforced his class. Hamilton should have been watching
Post edited at 19:14
In reply to Gone for good:

He scored more points than anyone else across a 20 race season. Like i said, hes not going to be in many peoples' 'greatest of all time' debates; but whoever does that is a worthy championship winner.
In reply to Tyler:

Talented but not genius contender makes the most of his chances, by dint of hard work, especially with the 'backroom' staff on the team.

You'd have to be a cynic, or one eyed Hamilton fan, not to acknowledge that's a positive story. ..
 Tyler 27 Nov 2016

> You'd have to be a cynic, or one eyed Hamilton fan, not to acknowledge that's a positive story. ..

I'd go for cynic but 'man works hard at job' is possibly a positive story if you run a hardware shop but if it's the best you can say about one of the richest and most watched sports in the world it's not so good. I know it's a motor sport rather than simply sport so it's inevitable the best car will win, I just thought all the plaudits for NR winning seemed over the top - he was just a component in the set up and not even the best one available to the team.

Indy 27 Nov 2016
> Hamilton should have been watching

He was...... in his rear view mirror.
Post edited at 20:45
In reply to Indy:

He was watching tennis?

While racing?

Would certainly explain why he lost the drivers championship....

;-P
 Trevers 27 Nov 2016

> Sadly, yes. Much as I try to warm to Hamilton I struggle. Stuff like this doesn't help:

> To compare across sports, last week novak djokovic gave a lesson in how to behave when your underdog rival finally beats you. That reinforced his class. Hamilton should have been watching

Over the course of the season, Nico's deserved to win it. He's shown great composure in the last few races.

However, I think Lewis may still be thinking about the races earlier in the season where Nico played dirty and dangerous on track (Spain and Austria), which wasn't becoming of a champion. Lewis has always fought hard but fair on track, and I think it's clear that he has the edge on him wheel to wheel at least.

Also, that was just a couple of days ago. Drivers will say anything to try and gain a psychological advantage leading up to a race.
 GrahamD 28 Nov 2016

In a two car race, the one with fewest breakdowns won. Not the greatest sporting contest of the year.
 Indy 28 Nov 2016
In reply to lummox:

"Formula 1 is rubbish claims Ecclestone"....... 6 weeks AFTER he sells his stake for nearly a Billion.
sebastian dangerfield 28 Nov 2016

> To compare across sports, last week novak djokovic gave a lesson in how to behave when your underdog rival finally beats you. That reinforced his class. Hamilton should have been watching

Mostly agree - the situation's kind of different though. I'm not sure NDjok (or anyone) would be so sanguine about it if he'd lost through his racket breaking on key points.

Tyler 28 Nov 2016
In reply to Trevers:

> Over the course of the season, Nico's deserved to win it.

Why did Hamilton deserve to lose?
 Martin W 28 Nov 2016

> Talented but not genius contender makes the most of his chances, by dint of hard work, especially with the 'backroom' staff on the team.

Some of those 'backroom' staff were in Lewis Hamilton's side of the pit garage last year. Meaning that Hamilton was assigned some of Rosberg's 2016 crew.
In reply to sebastian dangerfield:
perhaps he'd have reflected that had he played key points better, then such a racquet issue wouldn't have mattered?

similarly, if hamilton hadn't had some poor races during the season, then the engine failures wouldn't have been able to make a difference. hamilton also seems to forget that it was Massa's engine trouble with 2 laps to go back in 2009 that helped him to his first title- so, as in all sports, with 'external factors'/luck, you win some, you lose some.

probably best if hamilton took a leaf out of rosberg's book and kept his mouth shut for now- but no, he's at it again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38126132

sad to see him diminishing himself that way. a great driver, but on this evidence, not a great champion...
Post edited at 12:43
 Tyler 28 Nov 2016

> if hamilton hadn't had some poor races during the season, then the engine failures wouldn't have been able to make a difference.

> hamilton also seems to forget that it was Massa's engine trouble with 2 laps to go back in 2009 that helped him to his first title- so, as in all sports, with 'external factors'/luck, you win some, you lose some.
But that's what we are saying, Rosberg was lucky to win and if it is based purely on merit Hamilton deserved it more than Rosberg as he was the better driver of the two (there may be other drivers in other teams who are better than either, or drivers in other champs that never get the chance etc but here we're talking about Rosberg or Hamilton). You say originally Rosberg deserved the win, I'm still not sure why you say that? Because he's a better driver, because he's fought his way up from the slums to reach the peak of the sport, because you think he's a nicer guy than Hamilton? I'll ask again, why did Hamilton deserve to lose?

> probably best if hamilton took a leaf out of rosberg's book and kept his mouth shut for now- but no, he's at it again:
Dunno, Rosbsberg is a bit whiney himself

> sad to see him diminishing himself that way. a great driver, but on this evidence, not a great champion...
You seem to be conflating the F1 world championship with a popularity contest? On your evidence I'm guessing you don't rate Schumacher, Senna or Vettel as great champions, all prone to little outbursts, tantrums (and running opponents off the road in two cases)?

PS, I don't particularly like Hamilton!
 Trevers 28 Nov 2016

I think it'd be extremely difficult being gracious in defeat after your team had just ordered you to give up your chances of winning the WDC fairly.
 colinakmc 28 Nov 2016
"It's been a long time since anyone as unworthy won the title"

Shame to speak ill of the man in his misfortune, but would you be referring to Schumacher's first? Or maybe his second?
Post edited at 19:59
In reply to Tyler:
there's no doubt that hamilton is the more talented driver; but that's the beauty of sport, the favourite doesn't always win. hamilton's greater speed and audacity in overtaking was offset by inconsistency, with a couple of bad races, and yes, more bad luck with machinery (though rosberg has had more retirements due to car failure in his career than hamilton overall). rosberg was very consistent this year, cutting out errors that he's been prone to previously. its the hare and the tortoise, to some degree, and i guess like to see the underdog win at times.

as for deserving to win- i'm just reflecting on how hard it must have been psychologically for rosberg, to have been second best to hamilton for basically his whole life, and comprehensively beaten last year, to pick himselff up and find the belief he could do it, then actually deliver. the rosberg of last year would have cracked in that run in; but he held his nerve, and did what only one other driver has done, beat hamilton as his team mate. so its nothing with hamilton 'deserving to lose', just an admiration for the 'less talented' perennial runner up finally finding what it takes within himself to take the number one spot (definitely shades of Andy Murray there, to continue the Djokovic comparison)

and no conflation at all; the best driver of 2016 in the end is the one with the most points on the board. its like football; the champions are the ones that get the most points over the season, irrespective of shoddy refereeing decisions or unfair schedules. but hamilton is clearly the greater of the two over his career, and will be rightly remembered as one of the best drivers in history.

greatness isn't just about winning races though; its about conduct too . the other drivers you mention were hard on the track, going up to the limits and sometimes over them, and that's fair enough- just as hamilton's go-slow to try to force rosberg back into traffic was. but i don't remember any of them petulantly claiming that they were the 'real' best driver after losing- and this is where hamilton risks being seen as lesser to them. i could be wrong though, maybe they did, but i dont remember any instances....
Post edited at 20:28
 arch 29 Nov 2016

I think what would have been good for Hamilton to do would have been to let Rosberg through on the last lap. He couldn't win the championship, so winning the race didn't matter by then. Perhaps there wouldn't be quite this much derision of Hamilton then.
 Greenbanks 29 Nov 2016
In reply to arch:

Just heard Rosberg interviewed. Came across as a nice bloke, and respectful of Hamilton. Not sure what it is about Lewis - he seems difficult to warm to in a similar way.
 Trevers 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Just heard Rosberg interviewed. Came across as a nice bloke, and respectful of Hamilton. Not sure what it is about Lewis - he seems difficult to warm to in a similar way.

He does now - it's easy to be gracious in vcitory. In past when things haven't been going his way, Rosberg has often come across just as bitter and petulant as Hamilton, and his on track conduct has left plenty to be desired.
 Greenbanks 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Trevers:

Not had much involvement in the world of F1. So I wouldn't know about any petulance. As a distant observer though, that comes across as Hamilton's territory.
 Trevers 29 Nov 2016
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Not had much involvement in the world of F1. So I wouldn't know about any petulance. As a distant observer though, that comes across as Hamilton's territory.

Possibly due to the media obsession with him since he arrived in the sport.
Gone for good 02 Dec 2016

Completely unworthy. Can't even be bothered to defend his title.
Nico Rosberg retires: World champion quits Formula 1 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38185846
 Mike Highbury 02 Dec 2016
> Completely unworthy. Can't even be bothered to defend his title.

> Nico Rosberg retires: World champion quits Formula 1 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38185846

He doesn't seem to have motor racing in his heart, does he?

wow. didn't see that coming.

fair play to him; go out at the top. sport is full of people who stayed on past their time, and while there is a certain degree of human drama in watching the mighty brought down by the passage of time, bowing out at the pinnacle is a dignified way to finish.

certainly makes it interesting as to who will be hamiton's teammate, doesn't it...!

> wow. didn't see that coming.

>

> certainly makes it interesting as to who will be hamiton's teammate, doesn't it...!

Please please please let it be Max Verstappen.
Hmmm . . . . Think of a German, that has publically criticized his current team, has often complimented MB, played ball last Sunday and I think you may be closer to the mark.
Post edited at 17:11
In reply to Hugh J:

verstappen would be the more exciting option though, wouldn't it...?

For sure, but he's going nowhere at the moment.
In reply to Hugh J:

Vettel? He's still a great racer although his time at Ferrari has been disappointing.
Yes and yes it has. But Ferrari have been disappointing too.

It would be interesting to see those 2 together though, would settle some issues about who is the better driver. However, I think most know who the best 2 drivers are, though Ricciardo could also be with them by now.

It maybe that MB go for another German as a dedicated number 2 and also a protege. Given Manor's links with MB it might just be Pascal Wehrlein. He did a good job this year.
Post edited at 18:01
 arch 02 Dec 2016

Alonso ??
In reply to arch:

Yes that would also be very interesting. Alonso has been held back by uncompetitive cars; would love to see him with another shot at the title.

They'd be mad to, given the history though ...
That would be the 2 best drivers back together again. Both have matured somewhat and have more mutual respect since 2007. Can't imagine LH being too happy with it though and who knows? Maclaren might have the best car next year.
Post edited at 21:54
 arch 02 Dec 2016

Wehrlein for next year, thus guaranteeing Hamilton another championship, MB get rid of both. So then Vettal and Alonso to MB for 2018. Hamilton to Ferrari. Surely Hamilton will want to race for Ferrari before he finishes ??

In reply to arch:

Yep, Alonso.
In reply to arch:
For me a dream season would see Lewis & Fernado fight it out in competitive Ferraris. Just a dream.......
 Dave the Rave 03 Dec 2016

He wouldn't beat me on a Scalextric 300.
He could choose the colour of his Mini!
 aln 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Tyler:

> I'd go for cynic but 'man works hard at job' is possibly a positive story if you run a hardware shop but if it's the best you can say about one of the richest and most watched sports in the world it's not so good. I know it's a motor sport rather than simply sport so it's inevitable the best car will win,

You just summed up why I stopped watching it years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...