UKC

Climbing in Austria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rurp 27 Nov 2016
Planning a trip to Austria/Germany in summer. Will be me and the kids (14 and12).
Wanting some multipitch alpine routes preferably with bolts at least on the anchors! We did some 10 pitch 6a type stuff last year( td- ) and they loved it 'best day of my life'. Also would help if there's some sport climbing crags and it's pretty with lakes and walks and stuff.
Anyone got any experience of a suitable spot? I'm getting a bit lost on the internet!
 pavelk 27 Nov 2016
In reply to rurp:

Most of Austria is great... Wilder Kaiser (part of the Kaiser Mountains) might be something you are looking for. Just south from Vienna there is nice kids friendly area Hohe Hand.
Climbing info for all Austria is at http://www.bergsteigen.com/
OP rurp 27 Nov 2016
In reply to pavelk:

Thanks pavelk,
That was one of the places I looked at, I have heard about good alpine rock climbing in the kaisergebirge. What are the local ethics towards bolts? Are there sport climbs/ low level cragging options there too?
Cheers for the advice. I will check out the website
 David Myatt 27 Nov 2016
In reply to rurp:

Hi there.

I was in the Tyrol this summer and have the Sport guide. Happy to lend it to you. Give me a call if you fancy a chat.

Cheers, David.

07771 774190
 uphillnow 28 Nov 2016
In reply to rurp:

Wilder Kaiser could well fit the bill. Single pitch sport routes close to huts or approached from the road end -Wildangerwand. Also 18 pitch route starting from the same called Kirchle express. Older routes on main venues "improved" with the addition of bolts. Some via ferrata and well marked footpaths. Very friendly huts and good campsites. I took my children there when they were young and did all sorts. Biking on trails also possible.The Markus Stadler guide is very good with a grading system that really works.

The Wetterstein is also said to be good and I believe has some good sport climbing but not been there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...