UKC

UK Car Insurance for foreign licence holder, any tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack_Lewin 07 Dec 2016
Evening All,

My girlfriend is moving over at the end of the month and looking for car insurance.

24, Canadian National, Full clean licence since 2013.

Prices she is currently being quoted for a VW Polo (currently for sale at £1500) are £3000 plus. Even from those that claim to be used to dealing with non UK licence holders.

Does anyone have any experience or tips to find a more sensible quotation? Or is it just a case of sucking it up/not bothering?

Thanks for any help!
In reply to Jack_Lewin:
Bloody Canadians . . . coming over here . . . . driving on OUR roads!

Seriously, though, that seems steep. I have a UK licence, but have insurance from a French company (my bank in France) for a UK vehicle registered in France. I proved my UK no claims bonus and got a pretty fair deal - slightly more than I would expect to pay in the UK, but then the steering wheel is on the wrong side. How long has your partner been driving, do they have any proof of no claims bonus? Getting them added as a named driver on a policy for you might be better. Have you tried shopping around? Perhaps even the "meerkats" might be able to provide a better price?

Other than the usual I have no expertise of British insurers, perhaps it's another example of "Rip off Britain"?
Post edited at 19:49
OP Jack_Lewin 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Thanks for the tips Hugh, getting a policy in my name was one plan I'm gonna look at tomorrow. She has no claims that companies claim they acknowledge but seem to make little difference.

Tried a couple of comparison sites and called a couple of companies direct so far but with nothing sensible.
In reply to Jack_Lewin:
I just saw that you'd written your partners driving history. 3 years in driving in Canada probably equates to a new driver in the UK in their eye, who usually pay a couple of grand. I had 25 years when I got the insurance in France, It still seems excessive and feels like you're getting ripped off. I can't see how she is the equivalent of 20 times more of a risk than me (I reckon a Polo would cost me around £150). Have you seen if there's a difference between 3rd party and fully com?
Post edited at 19:57
OP Jack_Lewin 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

She has a quote for £1000 which is much more like it! Im sure not everyone that comes over stumps up 3 grand so hopefully these guys will cover her.

Cheers Pal
 IPPurewater 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Jack_Lewin:

VW Polos are often looked at by insurance companies as novices cars, so attract a higher premium. Check how much it would cost to insure say a Vectra - usually driven by more mature drivers. The lad over the road in my close, found it much cheaper to insure a Vectra than a Fiesta !

Also investigate if she can exchange her Canadian licence for a British one, but try a quote for her, based on having a British licence first.
 Big Ger 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Jack_Lewin:

Can she be a "named driver" on your insurance without bumping your premium up too high?
 Richard Wilson 07 Dec 2016

Get her to do a short intensive course & take a UK test.

Down side is she will have to wait 185 days from entering the country to be classed as a resident.

Once they have been here for 185 days they can also apply to exchange it for a UK one.

Taking the test will allow her to keep her Canadian one, exchanging it looses her the Canadian one & limits her to driving an Auto only.
Post edited at 22:01
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Jack_Lewin:

If you've got an elderly relative with a clean licence/no claims ectopic then put them on as a named driver. Believe it or not it can drop the premium a fair bit.
 Alex Riley 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Its also against the rules of the insurance policy if that person isn't actually the main driver.
 jcw 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Jack_Lewin:

I have a very vague memory that there was something specific to.Canada. I remember trying to get a Canadian added as a driver to my car and was unable to do so at any price. It may have been reciprocity over claims. Not very helpful I'm afraid but it might be worth checking to see if it is the nationality that is the root cause of the problem.
 Greasy Prusiks 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Alex Riley:

Is it? I must admit I've never tried it (no car at the moment) but I've got a mate who swears by it.
 Alex Riley 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Its fine if you legitimately share the car, but if the policy holder never drives its called fronting. You are essentially being dishonest about the likely hood of the car being in an accident (in the eyes of the insurer). If you get caught your insurance is potentially invalid.
 Greasy Prusiks 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Alex Riley:

Ah cheers mate! Perhaps not such a good idea then.
 whenry 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Alex Riley:

If you put the elderly relative on your policy as a named driver, it can drop your own premium. Adding my mother to my policy saves me about 20%. Nothing wrong with that, even if they never drive your car.
 Brass Nipples 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Jack_Lewin:

Get married, that'll drop the premium.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...