UKC

Mountains in the Les Gets / Morzine Range

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Harry 19 Dec 2016
I'm off for a skiing holiday in January, and again in March and April in Les Gets.

I won't want to, or due to my appalling knees, have the ability to ski everyday, but I've done a good amount of mountaineering in the alps, just not anywhere near this valley.

So, who can suggest any snow plods / alpine ascents that would be worthy of a day out in the area. I have a season pass for the morzine / les gets resort.

Cheers,

Adam
 starbug 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Mr Harry:

Not a big mountain day, however there is a Via Ferrata just up the road at Avoriaz for a day out if thats of any interest.
OP Mr Harry 19 Dec 2016
In reply to starbug:

Cheers for that. Love a rest-day via ferrata. My girlfriend might be up for that, too, certainly more so than a long snow plod. Anyone else got good knowledge of the area?
In reply to starbug:

The Via Ferratta at Avoriaz was closed this summer (late August) due to a big rock fall. I doubt it will have been fixed yet.
 John Kelly 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Mr Harry:

Le Rocher de la Chaux

Couple via ferrata 10mins Morzine, not sure how practical via ferrata is during winter, good leather gloves and a few short aiding slings might be useful
OP Mr Harry 19 Dec 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

I'll give them a go and let you know.
 starbug 19 Dec 2016
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Avoriaz may be down but Le Rocher de la Chaux in St Jean d'Aulps again up the road the other way
was definately open this week
OP Mr Harry 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Mr Harry:

Has anyone been for a walk up any of the local mountains? Just a quick look at Google Maos shows Haute Pointe, Pointe de Chalune and Pointe do Marcelly?

Jim 1003 19 Dec 2016
In reply to Mr Harry:

You will need skis for any high mountains, and possibly even lower ones. Without teaching my grandma to suck eggs, the avalanche potential can be very high. There is a good Alpine guidebook for sale in le vieux camper, it has an English version.
 dannymil 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr Harry:

Seconded, living out here there are few peaks which are worthwhile in march without skis. With snow shoes you can enjoy the peaks around the Vallee de la Manche such as the Tete de Bostan, or head up to the Col de Ratti over the back of Les Gets for a half day. There's probably gonna be some ice about over the next few weeks if you fancy that?
 dsiska 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Mr Harry:

I would say that any peaks there would be best ascended on skis. There are some nice days out to be had in that way around there but not if one wants to avoid skiing.

But I would actually recommend cragging, there is a good number of perfectly pleasant, bolted crags, e.g.
Anthon#maps
Le Tuet#maps
I've climbed there many times in March and April.

Butel 05 Jan 2017
In reply to dannymil:

Hey mate.

Ive been looking for folk to go out to do some winter routes with without having to go to Cham. If your keen let me know.

Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...