UKC

Conditions on the Douglas Boulder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam B 20 Dec 2016
Can anyone who was on the Ben this weekend give me any information about the conditions? I'm interested specifically in Tower Ridge, and in the Douglas Boulder - SW Ridge and Direct Route. I'm trying to find out if they would be in decent condition over xmas, or if it's too early in the season.

Thanks very much for any help anyone can give me,

BT
 Pina 20 Dec 2016
In reply to BlueTotem:

Everything's currently in summer condition. I.e. Completely black and wet. Cold spell rolling through but it'll probably take a while to build up.
OP Sam B 20 Dec 2016
In reply to aldo56:

Thanks very much for pointing that out, I didn't know there was a video feed.

Doesn't look too good :-/
 gavmac 20 Dec 2016
In reply to BlueTotem:

Worth mentioning that this is going to change rapidly in the next few days based on current forecasts. Ben Nevis won't be in summer condition by the weekend.
 Simon Caldwell 20 Dec 2016
In reply to gavmac:

Based on current forecasts it might be a bit tricky standing upright by the weekend...
OP Sam B 20 Dec 2016
In reply to gavmac:

Thanks very much for the information. I guess it's a case of taking the ice tools and gear just in case, then?

Also changes the drinking water situation and the plan for shelter, presumably. I really really hate to say this, but I may have to rethink my plans for xmas

Thanks very much to you, J_Trottet and aldo56 for the information.
OP Sam B 20 Dec 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Yeah, I heard the windspeed could be up to 140km/h at 1,345. Looks like Ben Nevis has thwarted me for the third year on the trot
Post edited at 11:50
 lummox 20 Dec 2016

As Simon has said, the forecast is for extremely windy conditions over the weekend. Moving in the hills at all will probably be very challenging.
 galpinos 20 Dec 2016
In reply to J_Trottet:

> Everything's currently in summer condition. I.e. Completely black and wet.

Brilliant!
 gavmac 20 Dec 2016

Well I certainly wouldn't fancy Tower Ridge much Simon!
 Misha 20 Dec 2016
In reply to BlueTotem:

Given the forecast, the best place to be on Xmas day will be indoors tucking into the turkey...
 jaggy bunnet 20 Dec 2016
In reply to J_Trottet:
Would you accept £20 ? Haha
Post edited at 20:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...