UKC

Camera recommendations for making bouldering movies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ehmarra 23 Dec 2016
Hello there climbers and merry christmas!!!
Well i've just been told by the better half i can pick a camera for christmas, in reference to her quote "to help make some more of the those bouldering vids you make, look better!!!", i think my attempts so far have been a little to amateur for her tastes lol. So I'm relatively new to this and i'd like to know, what would constitute a good camera for bouldering purposes?. I will be using it for making movies, most likely of strange esoteric areas in Lancashire, but i'd also like to take good quality photos. Basically we're talking about something that i can make relatively high quality amateur vids on but also be good enough to take quality photos. The price range would be from £200-£500. If you have recommendations and you have some climbing filmed using that camera feel free to post the link. Im ideally wanting to document the lesser known or the so far un-videoed areas of climbing that have good climbing (all be at a low to mid grade), in hope that people to inspire people to make the effort to go to these areas to seek out a few little gems.
Cheers Andy

The link below is a very amateur vid of The Bull Stones in Lancashire. With that in mind i'd want something that recorded things with a much better quality. vimeo.com/183222521
 Si dH 23 Dec 2016
In reply to Ehmarra:
I just use my phone camera and am generally pretty happy with the results. They are slightly better than on my vimeo page (below) before I stitch them and upload them; using windows movoe maker and uploading to vimeo doesn't seem to retain 100% quality.
If you want something better (eg better lens) then all I would advise is not to compromise on a low size and weight, and ensure you have both a standup tripod (this is what I lack) and a gorillapod. You need to be able to attach your camera in the maximum range of places to get good angles. I use tree branches an awful lot; obviously this depends where you are.

vimeo.com/user42329154

Edit: the other downside of my phone is that I can't turn off it's autofocus function, which can be annoying. Definitely make sure you get something that gives you the option.
Edit2: get something with decent low light functionality , a lot of crags are surprisingly dark when you try to photograph/video them!
Post edited at 15:06
 anngrant 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Ehmarra:

Hi there ane Merry Chistmas!
I personally recommend you to have a look at Nikon Cameras here http://wholetechnics.com/items/116-20260.html
I own Nikon D5500, which meets my needs perfectly. The touch screen works well and makes quick operation easier. It's small and lightweight, so this camera is always with me
 Wft 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Ehmarra:

Get a small camera, the smaller the better as you're more likely to stick it on your bag on the way out climbing
 Fraser 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Wood for Trees:

... and something with a very wide angle.
 Adam Long 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Ehmarra:

Try a Sony RX10. Second hand they are £300-500. Does high quality video and stills, and the 'bridge' design gives SLR handling whilst adding many of the advantages of dedicated camcorders over SLRs (EVF, stabilisation, ND filter).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...