UKC

Where have all the coppers gone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 03 Jan 2017

Mrs. Fester and I went to Manchester today. We arrived at Piccadilly at about mid-day, went to the Arndale Centre, wandered around the shopping precinct and several of the other streets and got back to Piccadilly at about four thirty.

In that time we did not see any coppers "on the beat" - not even at the station.

Whilst perhaps their priority nowadays is to patrol airports whilst flaunting their Heckler and Kochs I think their absence from the streets is less than reassuring. I still think that, years ago, to see a policeman or two patrolling on foot gave law abiding citizens some reassurance that somebody was there to look out for us.

At one point I really could have done with seeing a copper in order to seek directions. As it was, the few civvies we managed to ask didn't have a clue, didn't care or, like us, were strangers.

Where is Off-Duty when you need him?
Post edited at 20:47
 Dave the Rave 03 Jan 2017
In reply to FesteringSore:

I saw a cardboard one in a pound store. Much more effective than the plastic version.
 Andypeak 03 Jan 2017

I have not seen a proper cop on the beat outside of an event in years. Recently it is even worse due to lack of cash. Policing, like most public services is based on stats. It is very hard to record on paper how many crimes are prevented by having cops on foot patrol, if anything they increase crime stats by finding crimes so they are one of the first things to go.
OP FesteringSore 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I saw a cardboard one in a pound store. Much more effective than the plastic version.

LoL
 Timmd 03 Jan 2017

I gather you can thank/blame the budget cuts implemented by the Conservatives?
 Ridge 03 Jan 2017

You should have gone to London. The place is crawling with underwater helicopter dog units and hundreds of coppers dressed up like SAS impersonators to keep our betters safe. Ooop north you've got 2 PCSO who can say "Get Back" in a squeaky voice per 100,000 people.
 Albert Tatlock 03 Jan 2017

Try the Crispy Crème Doughnut store ,you will find them in there
 MG 03 Jan 2017
I see two most days at Picaddily.

I don't think providing directions to tourists who can't read a map or use a phone is their primary purpose, however.
Post edited at 21:20
 MG 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Or possibly that wandering around aimlessly isn't that effective at reducing crime (that is at close to the lowest level ever)
 Mike Stretford 03 Jan 2017
In reply to FesteringSore: I'd assumed the extensive cctv in city centres had for the most part replaced the 'bobbies on the beat'.
 Timmd 03 Jan 2017
In reply to MG:
> Or possibly that wandering around aimlessly isn't that effective at reducing crime (that is at close to the lowest level ever)

Quite possibly, though I gather that a part of policing is having a visible presence to reassure the general public, too?

Whatever the technicalities of policing, budget cuts will mean less capabilities in some form I would think.
Post edited at 21:39
 off-duty 03 Jan 2017

You don't actually think there are any cops left do you?
That's the result of repeated rounds of austerity and cuts, we are being reduced to an almost entirely reactive service, and we aren't going to attend if you want us, only if we think you need us. Sorry

You might see a PCSO or a special though.
 Babika 03 Jan 2017

Surely ost shopping malls and stores like Arndale have their own security?

I'd rather scarce police resources were used where most needed - whether that's patrolling dark streets in a car or hunched over a computer chasing Internet paedophiles.

Im always baffled by this Dixon of Dock Green mantra about needing bobbies on foot.
 marsbar 03 Jan 2017
In reply to off-duty:

Don't really want to like this post if you see what I mean.
 Brass Nipples 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> The place is crawling with underwater helicopter dog units

Those dogs are taking over I tell you, taking over...
 deepsoup 03 Jan 2017
In reply to marsbar:
Heh. Same here. "Liked" it, don't like it.
 Co1in H 03 Jan 2017
I used to work in Manchester and last time I was there, a couple of years ago, there were "Town Wardens" in red jackets and caps to help tourists. Maybe the cuts got them as well.
KevinD 03 Jan 2017

> At one point I really could have done with seeing a copper in order to seek directions.

I am not sure using cops as human signposts is an overly cost effective use of tax money.

> I still think that, years ago, to see a policeman or two patrolling on foot gave law abiding citizens some reassurance that somebody was there to look out for us.

I would prefer them to be in a car and hence capable of turning up quicker than having to run from the other end of town.

> As it was, the few civvies we managed to ask didn't have a clue, didn't care or, like us, were strangers.

launch google maps. job done.

> Where is Off-Duty when you need him?

ermm off-duty perhaps?
 Scarab9 03 Jan 2017

As off duty has said it's budget cuts.

Specific to Manchester centre, you'll generally see a couple at Piccadilly station, maybe Victoria station, and now and then a couple in pic gardens. There seem to be more close by to respond to cctv and calls in an emergency though, if you're around when something happens you'll see how fast they get in.
 kevin stephens 03 Jan 2017

> Mrs. Fester and I went to Manchester today. We arrived at Piccadilly at about mid-day, went to the Arndale Centre, wandered around the shopping precinct and several of the other streets and got back to Piccadilly at about four thirty.

> In that time we did not see any coppers "on the beat" - not even at the station.

But you can be sure there were loads watching your every move intently; on the multitude of CCTV cameras. Now that they have introduced iris recognition you can expect your jay walking fixed penalty notice in the post
 Brass Nipples 03 Jan 2017

Load of coppers in my house, two a penny.
 neilh 04 Jan 2017

Probably because in reality the real serious crime is elsewhere and cops are no longer needed on the beat like in dixon of dock green days. Where I use to live had husband and wife neighbour who were officers. One worked as he described in a "ware house" targetting major criminals, his wife worked targetting child sex offenders.I suspect that is where most major poilicing is these days.
 The New NickB 04 Jan 2017

I'm quite surprised that you did not see any police.

I'm in Manchester quite regularly and I don't think I have every been through either of the two main stations without seeing Police and whilst I wouldn't expect to see police in the Arndale unless they had been called to an incident by Arndale security, I would expect to see officer in busy areas like Market Street.
 toad 04 Jan 2017
You get what you pay for, and successive governments have prioritised lower local (council) taxes over better local services. There are only so many backroom/ efficiency savings you can make before something at the frontline gives.
 GrahamD 04 Jan 2017

No point in having them if they can't give the odd scroat a clip behind the ear.
 mike123 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Load of coppers in my house, two a penny.

You still saving 1/2 p s? Might want to check if they re still worth owt.
 Andypeak 04 Jan 2017
In reply to MG:

> Or possibly that wandering around aimlessly isn't that effective at reducing crime (that is at close to the lowest level ever)

If you take cops off the beat crime stats will reduce because there's less cops to find the crime that doesn't have a "victim" such as drugs. Reducing crimes stats is easy, reducing crime is much harder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...