UKC

Building a climbing wall in my attic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alvesjnr 05 Jan 2017
Hi all.

I am planning to build a climbing wall in my attic.

My attic has this frame structure made by 3cm X 16cm wood boards, 45cm apart. (see https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aGZIlvt5Ar2jBYMzx35CWfCdNUWGZMkvfQ/view?us... )

My question is: is it safe to bolt the plywood direct to this structure? Or should I build a frame for my wall?

jkarran 05 Jan 2017
In reply to alvesjnr:

It's not clear what your picture shows but 30x160 is a rather odd sized timber and the timber orientation in your picture looks stranger still, I suspect your roof may be a little unusual or you've not identified/highlighted the main structure in your picture. More information needed.

In general, your roof is strong enough (or should be!) to support its own weight plus snow and wind loads so fastening a simple climbing board direct to the underside should be fine. It will however be rather steep, the conditions in most attics are horrid for one reason or another year round and you'll have to consider the strength and rigidity of what you're landing on and whether the plaster/decoration below will take the beating.
jk
 duchessofmalfi 05 Jan 2017
In reply to alvesjnr:

While it is hard to see what is going on in this picture or work out what your description means (3x16cm is a plank, you seems to be measuring a 3x2cm batton) it is pretty clear that it would be a bad idea to attach anything load bearing (your ply panels) to this. The board behind (OSB) probably isn't structurally sound for load bearing (OSB can be but it is unlikely).

You should probably make a supporting structure of 3"x2" size timbers securely fastened to the load bearing timbers of the attic floor and ceiling - at least one timber every 4' (ie two to a 1/2 board or 3 to a full board width). Also remember to pad out your boards to leave at least 50mm behind the board for bolts to protrude through.
 ScottTalbot 05 Jan 2017
In reply to alvesjnr:

I've no idea about the structural integrity, so I'll leave that to someone more qualified... My main concern would be the falling off. I imagine you're going to end up with cracked ceilings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...