UKC

The Real Housewives of ISIS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Good satire or lazy stereotyping? Have to say I'm kind of impressed at the BBC being brave enough to broadcast material mocking ISIS , although I thought it was quite tame and not particularly funny (probably because I don't watch "housewives" type shows),

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/04/real-housewives-of-isis-screens-on-bbc2-and-i...
 marsbar 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Satire in my opinion. Could be a good way of opening a difficult conversation with vulnerable to grooming teenage girls as well.
Rigid Raider 05 Jan 2017

But it's not even funny; it's just puerile.
 marsbar 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I think to find it funny you probably have to be a fan of the actual real housewives type shows.

In reply to Rigid Raider:

Agree that the jokes are pretty obvious and not clever. See Four lions for a clever satire on extremism. I think the joke could have been better if the girls were still in the UK and were discussing the idea of fleeing to Syria whilst enjoying doing things completely alien to the ISIS way of life or even things Muslim girls would unlikely do (e.g drinking alcopops and smoking a spliff behind the bike sheds at school, or coming out of the showers at a busy gym changing rooms* and getting into their full burka whilst surrounded by TOWIE types taking no notice etc. sort of thing...) showing complete cognitive dissonance.

*maybe revealing more about my TV tastes than I should Also, i'm sure plenty of muslim girls smoke and drink and go to the gym....
 jonnie3430 05 Jan 2017

Good on the beeb for trying, this comment is how I feel;

"Irfan Mansor said: ‘I like it. It’s making fun of isis which is a good thing. The whole point of satire is to bring people down to a level.
‘If you can mock something, you’re not scared of it. ISIS want to be feared. Don’t give them that. And yes I’m Muslim, and a leftist. This does not offend me and even if it did, I just wouldn’t watch it.’"
 Big Ger 05 Jan 2017

Obviously out to get the SJW brigade to promote their shows. Winning!!!

mountainbagger 06 Jan 2017

I saw a bit of it whilst channel surfing. I was pleased they were having a go, but not amused enough to keep watching.
KevinD 06 Jan 2017

I am a tad confused about it. That minute and a half is all there is to it as far as I can tell but people seem to be reacting to it as if it is a full comedy show.
Cant see how anyone could really get offended at it.
 AP Melbourne 07 Jan 2017
In reply to KevinD:

Agree, innofensive. Not inciteful either.

A mate of mine went to an ISIS strip club the other night and all the blokes were shouting "show us yer face" ,,,,,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...