UKC

Malta Climbing trad guide book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leemagowan 07 Jan 2017
Does anyone have a Malta Climbing guide book for sale or will allow me to borrow it for a trip in 2 weeks time.
The book is out of print, if anyone knows where there might be one for sale or a sneaky stock, please give me a steer!

Thanks

Lee
 d_b 07 Jan 2017
In reply to leemagowan:

I have one, but I will need it back before I go over there in March.
OP leemagowan 07 Jan 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

I would love to borrow it, I go on the 22nd Jan and back on the 2nd Feb.
On the island they rent the book out buts it's 47 for 7 days.

Lee
Removed User 07 Jan 2017
In reply to leemagowan:

Pretty sure the Malta Climbing Club FB group would let you rent one much cheaper than that. The old guide isn't much use any more anyway, they printed a new guide in 2013 including retrobolts.
 d_b 07 Jan 2017
In reply to leemagowan:

Send me a mail and I will post it to you. My understanding is that a lot of the routes have been retrobolted since it was printed so it may be less trad than the old book suggests.
OP leemagowan 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed User:
Really looking for a guide that shows the Trad on the island.
Are you saying that the locals have bolted the trad routes?
OMG....
 Rich A 10 Jan 2017
In reply to leemagowan:

The 2007 guide had both trad and sports routes (and some of the trad routes had the odd bolt in). Many of the trad routes have been retrobolted with permission (and written up as a sports climb only route list in the 2013 guide), but not all, so if you are on a trad mission ideally you would need both guides to workout what's left (and some of these have probably been bolted since 2013!)

Havent been trad climbing since our first trip 5 years ago as the sports routes are so good (sea cliffs especially if you want a bit more of a 'trad' adventure) but noticed last week the odd trad routes we have done still remain.

The climbing clubs on malta are very friendly if you wanted try them for some route recommendations through face book .

Have a good trip hope you find some of what you are after. If you are on the trad a bent coat hanger or abalakov threader is very useful for threading slings and take some cord. In-situ gear/cord often haven't been replaced so treat with great caution.
Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...