UKC

Fractured tibia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 15 Jan 2017
I've manage to fracture my tibia by twisting my ankle when trail running in the moonlight. Any idea how I can keep fit whilst it heals?
In reply to JimR:

Get yourself a good set of crutches, don't try to rely on the grey NHS ones as they have poor grip and hurt the hands. Then get out walking on them - it's exhausting but will help keep you fit until you're allowed to swim.
 Neil Morrison 15 Jan 2017
In reply to JimR:
I would agree with getting going on the crutches. And as soon as the doc gives you the all clear get onto a turbo trainer and get pedalling very gently to start. If you don't have one but have there are plenty good deals on them at present or try to access a static bike in a gym. Another good trick when allowed to fully weight it is a wobble cushion. Only out about £12 and great for working those micro muscles. Key time is when you are allowed to weight it and to keep the rehab going for an extended period of time.
 peebles boy 15 Jan 2017
In reply to JimR:

Spin classes.
Turbo trainer at home.
Swimming.
Rowing machine?
 Rick Graham 15 Jan 2017
In reply to JimR:

I bought an iwalk2 ( see my pics ) to use instead of crutches with my non weight bearing ankle ( below knee cast ).

If you stick with crutches look up tips for domestic chores on crutches.

I found crawling round the house most efficient.
Made a low seat ( out of Kingspan insulation ) so I could shower with leg outside.
Tips I found later were to make a brew in a flask then carry in a kangaroo pouch/bib to your chair.

When you get a weight bearing cast, I found a plastic boot shell fitted really well over it, so well I spend a lot of time at Kendal Wall.

If you are looking at cardio the turbo trainer sounds a good idea.
 Dave the Rave 15 Jan 2017
In reply to JimR:

If you're non weight bearing then it's best just to suck it up, accept that you may be off you're limb for 6 weeks or so, and make sure it has the chance to heal properly.
Hard to do, yes, but better than delaying your fracture healing.
Your consultant may allow you to use a bike trainer with minimal resistance, then again he may not.
A curl bar may be useful.
 walts4 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> If you're non weight bearing then it's best just to suck it up, accept that you may be off you're limb for 6 weeks or so, and make sure it has the chance to heal properly.

> Hard to do, yes, but better than delaying your fracture healing.

Sound, sound advice....

In reply to walts4:

At the same time it's important to keep muscle groups and joints moving as much as possible (within the limits of what's allowed) to avoid the formation of adhesions between muscles/tendons.

That's why swimming is so good as non weight bearing exercise - not just for the cardio/fitness side - and why it's a good idea to get a Physio involved as soon as possible.

youtube.com/watch?v=BdRqLrCF_Ys&
Vector686 16 Jan 2017
In reply to JimR:

> I've manage to fracture my tibia by twisting my ankle when trail running in the moonlight. Any idea how I can keep fit whilst it heals?

Run?
OP JimR 16 Jan 2017
In reply to JimR:

thanks all, think I'll have to be patient. Not one of my stronger characteristics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...