UKC

Flexible self employment/business

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello.

I am fine everybody.

I have done a short Book Keeping course but I failed the course because I failed three units. I am thinking of using the skills I have learnt from the course to do my finances for a small flexible business or self-emplymemt.

I looked into freelancing as a Graphic Designer and Web Designer as I a gave certificates in DTP, Web Design, Graphic Design and Flash Animation but it is very competitive.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Bye

Sav

P.S. It doesn't have to be climbing related.
Post edited at 17:40
J1234 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

President of America, though maybe you are over qualified.
In reply to Lenin:

Hi

Very funny!

Well, i rthink I would do a better job than The Trump!?

LMAO! LMHO! LOL!
J1234 15 Jan 2017

>

> Well, i rthink I would do a better job than The Trump!?

>

So do I

In reply to Lenin:

> So do I

So do a lot of people
 climbwhenready 15 Jan 2017

Sav is back!

Done any climbing recently?
In reply to climbwhenready:

I'm back!

I'm planning a slate trip this month with slate legend Ian Lloyd Jones and maybe Tom Livingstone!

Also grit with a guy called Nik in Feb!

Oceanrower 16 Jan 2017

Do they know yet?
In reply to Oceanrower:

Yes they do
> Do they know yet?

Yes they do.

Me and Ian have been trying to arrange a trip to the Slate for a while but in November I came down with a very bad cold and in December I worked for The Royal Mail at a sorting office.

Me and Nik have kept in contact and he has most of Feb free apart from a week where he goes Ice Climbing.

Me and Tom have had some contact about a trip.

Sav

Big Ger 16 Jan 2017

Sav, your enthusiasm is very infectious. Good to hear you are ok.

Vector686 16 Jan 2017

> Has anyone got any ideas?

> Bye

> Sav

> P.S. It doesn't have to be climbing related.

Gardener or handyman
 Mick Ward 16 Jan 2017

Hi Savvas,

Don't worry about failing the units, just ask yourself why you failed them and what it takes to re-do 'em and pass.

Many self-employed people are so focused on getting the work in and doing it that they just can't be bothered with paperwork/finance. (Yes, I know this isn't a good attitude; I'm just telling it as it is!) So the receipts go in a shoe box or under the bed or...

If you can take this hassle off them, it relieves them of the stress that a lot of them will be having this month, trying to get their tax returns in on time.

You could hit a lot of businesses this month/next month with a 'Do you really want all this stress again next year?' kind of pitch.

If it takes off (and you like doing the work) then great. If not, well you'll have probably learned something about business generation and get on to the next business idea.

Gardening's a good bet (bit early in the year though, people aren't thinking about their gardens yet). OK, some love gardening but others (people like me!) wish it would do itself.

Again you've got older people who may have loved gardening (and have all the time in the world) but are getting a bit frail for any kind of heavy lifting.

The big thing with starting a little business is don't spend money on equipment etc. You've got to go round knocking on doors (which is hard/scary/fun, depending on how you approach it) but knocking on doors doesn't cost money. If you've got a local market for something, great, snowball it. If not, next idea.

The big thing is to be out there blasting away (and coming back here for support), not agonising. And remember - don't spend money!

All best wishes,

Mick
In reply to Big Ger:

> Sav, your enthusiasm is very infectious. Good to hear you are ok.

Thanks
In reply to Vector686:

Hi.

Great ideas
In reply to Mick Ward:

Hi Mick.

I know why I failed them and I don't think I can retake them as the teacher has retired. As far I know the centre does not run the course anymore but I think it runs the AAT courses which are harder....

I failed the SAGE units because I couldn't be accurate and fast at the same time - even though I practiced a lot home. In regards to the Manual Unit that I failed, I was never good at the unit.

Gardening would be great and it has already been suggested to me on here.

I thought of tutoring people on Excel and Word etc but apparently the library offers courses on those programmes.

I asked UK Climbing if I could sell their publications on my blog but Alan James said it us not possible.

Kind Regards
Savvas
 Andy Hardy 16 Jan 2017

Hi Sav

You can "dip your toe" into freelancing on a site like peopleperhour.com. You bid for work, and there is usually a lot of web stuff on there - don't know so ,much about book keeping, but it might be worth having a look.

Good Luck

Andy
 Billhook 16 Jan 2017
Nice to see you back. You were missed!

Self employment can be as easy or as hard as you wish.

I've been self employed for about 20 years. And in two different countries and in at least three different employment categories. The thing I found most difficult was getting your name out there. Mick W has given you some words of wisdom and you've got to use the marketing tool which fits best with whatever you decide to do - for example if you only intend working locally doing odd jobs or gardening there's no point in advertising in a gardening magazine - local shop windows will do.) You don't necessarily have to concentrate on just the one category either. (I started up doing everything from old people's gardens, odd jobs, even odder jobs, such as moving antique Rajastan doors & frames, house sitting and more).

Things start slowly - well they did for me! It may take a couple of years or more before you feel comfortable about the amount of work you are getting, but don't give up easily and don't let anyone discourage you.

Good luck
Post edited at 11:43
In reply to Dave Perry:

Good to be back! I know I was missed but I got on people's nerves quite bit with some of my posts.

Thanks for the advice.
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I will look into it.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...