UKC

Sherlock; Ruined.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 16 Jan 2017
I caught the "Final Problem" episode last night.

[spoilers]

What could have been a great episode was totally ruined by an Americanized ending. It was like a Tom F*ck*ng Hanks movie, or an episode of "Friends".

Pile on the saccharine, over-emotional music, add in the lovey dovey, give Greg Lestrade a black Sargent to spout respectful quotes about Sherlock too*, uplifting messages from dead Mary, and all in all 2 minute of puerile dross.

* I'm surprised they didn't walk off into the sunset hand in hand.
 wilkie14c 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

lost all credibility with the purposeful jimmy saville mirror episode

as with doctor who, anything steven moffat writes is utter shite and just plain daft
 The Lemming 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I too have mixed feelings about the last episode. It was like a throw back to the 60's TV series The Prisoner. Bit too unbelievable.
 Monk 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I really liked it. Best episode of the series (although the end was a little sentimental).

And hasn't Lastrade had a black sergeant since the first series?
In reply to Big Ger:

Not so much ruined as finished. It's ran its course and I doubt we'll see it again.

T.
 Skyfall 16 Jan 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

I agree, Steven Moffat ha a ruined Dr Who of late and Sherlock.

I'm amazed people don't see or at least comment upon the unoriginal plotting and dialogue. It's all so borrowed from other stuff I can't be bothered to quote it; you've heard it all before.
 richprideaux 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

It was more like fanfic than the Sherlock the first series promised. I think they lost sight of the fact it was meant to be about a detective solving crimes, not an inward-looking and self-referential journey into Tumblr.

Is it just what happens when you are making things for an internet audience of fans, rather than making something good for the sake of it?
 ClimberEd 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Skyfall:

> I'm amazed people don't see or at least comment upon the unoriginal plotting and dialogue. It's all so borrowed from other stuff I can't be bothered to quote it;

A series of books are the 'other stuff' - some author or other, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle I think he's called

galpinos 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> * I'm surprised they didn't walk off into the sunset hand in hand.

That might have been preferable to that ridiculous run and jump final frame..........

colinakmc 17 Jan 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> I too have mixed feelings about the last episode. It was like a throw back to the 60's TV series The Prisoner. Bit too unbelievable.

It struck me that if they'd worn coloured onesy's, it would have made a passable Power Rangers episode.
 JimR 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I thought it was total cr@p , I persevered with the series hoping it would improve but it went from bad to worse. The rest of the family were more sensible, they gave up on it midway through the first episode.
In reply to Big Ger:

It was diabolical but the series as a whole never recovered from the 'suicide that wasn't' at the end of season 2.
I couldn't decide if last nights episode was trying to be the Prisoner or The Avengers. A waste of talent the BBC rarely has access to.
In reply to ClimberEd:

> A series of books are the 'other stuff' - some author or other, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle I think he's called

If only they'd borrowed a bit more from that source.
In reply to richprideaux:

> It was more like fanfic than the Sherlock the first series promised.

Agreed.
I found myself fast forwarding bits of the (hopefully) last episode as so much of it was unbearable to watch in a very predictable way.
 Chris the Tall 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Regrettably I have to agree. Too much action, too much emotion, not enough deduction

Like Dr Who it has gone too much into the series narrative and away from individual episodes. Part of the problem is doing just 3 episodes in a series - there's no room for the intriguing cases, it's all about saving the world

Pity, because when it was good it was very good indeed - might have to dig out the first Irene Adler episode to remind myself how good it was.
 deepsoup 17 Jan 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:
> as with doctor who, anything steven moffat writes is utter shite and just plain daft

Curiously though, while Russell T Davies was head writer Moffat consistently wrote the best episodes by miles of each series. One theory I'd come across for his dreadful scripts since taking over from RTD was that he was busy devoting all his time and talent to 'Sherlock' whilst turning in a somewhat half-arsed effort for Dr Who. Perhaps not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...