UKC

Lens converter or another camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 17 Jan 2017
I am thrilled with my Canon 6D and 100-400 L II lens, really getting into wildlife (photography!) and am pondering trying to get even more reach.

I see that a Canon x1.4 converter has reasonable reviews, but not so the x2 converter.

Or would I get better results with another body with a smaller sensor that would take the same zoom lens?
 Blue Straggler 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Fredt:

Wouldn't a smaller sensor simply give the same result as cropping your image from the 6D?
OP Fredt 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Wouldn't a smaller sensor simply give the same result as cropping your image from the 6D?

Yup. Didn't think of that.
 AlanLittle 17 Jan 2017

Canon's APS-C bodies are 18MP, and cropping the equivalent middle bit of the 20MP 6D sensor would be considerably less than that. So the small sensor body would give higher resolution for the same perspective. Whether that's relevant to what fredt wants to use his picture for only he can decide.
 Adam Long 17 Jan 2017

Convertor performance is heavily dependent on lens, so check reviews with your lens. They generally perform better on primes than zooms, or at least zooms with a narrower range. Expect AF performance to suffer too.

> Wouldn't a smaller sensor simply give the same result as cropping your image from the 6D?

No, the smaller sensor will have more pixels relative to the area, so you should get higher quality image than simply cropping from the 6D. You'll want a fairly recent, high end body to maintain AF and high ISO performance. There'll not likely be a big difference between using the 6D + 1.4X, but I expect the smaller senor to have the edge. On the other hand the 1.4x will be much cheaper.

The narrower the view the harder it is handle and to tame camera shake, so you'll want decent support too.

ChrisJD 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Fredt:

The 100-400mm will cast the same image onto the sensor, be it FF or APC, the form factor of the senor just dictates how much of the image circle the camera records. The pixel size determines resolution not form factor....at the same focal length....all other things being equal

I used to have the Canon 100-400mm with a Canon 1.4x. Gives a lot of reach, but the f8? with 1.4x at the long end makes focusing problematic.

Blue Straggler 17 Jan 2017
Sorry my reply was very brief. I realise a smaller sensor probably has more pixels crammed onto it so that, as others point out, the resolution in PIXEL COUNT will be greater if you go down that route.

But hey we've had years of everyone saying "don't just count the pixels"...
In reply to ChrisJD: I have a 1.4 converter and it works well with my 70-200 F4L but agree, f8 focusing might be hit or miss.

ChrisJD 18 Jan 2017
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

The 100-400mm is f5.6 at the long end, so struggles a bit with the 1.4x @ f8 ish
 mudmonkey 18 Jan 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:
> Canon's APS-C bodies are 18MP, and cropping the equivalent middle bit of the 20MP 6D sensor would be considerably less than that. So the small sensor body would give higher resolution for the same perspective. Whether that's relevant to what fredt wants to use his picture for only he can decide.

They actually brought in a new sensor last year - my 760D APS-C sensor is 24.2MP and a significant improvement from the previous 18MP sensor on my 700D. Have printed up to 20" x 14" with Loxley, images still look great - I have good lenses but not top-notch.

There is a new Canon 70-300mm coming out which is supposed to be excellent and looks set to be a reasonable price, £400-500. Will be upgrading from my Tamron which is not great beyond 200mm.
Post edited at 13:36
 malk 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Fredt:
there are good value telezooms in the m43 world and used bodies go cheap.
then you'll slap your head, sell your canon gear and get this:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/05/02/the-mighty-panasonic-leica-100-400...

Post edited at 13:42
In reply to ChrisJD:

I can imagine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...