UKC

How the hell do you...........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon 04 Dec 2003
...top out on things like this?

I'm a crap topper out at the best of times (oooo mummy) but this just looks impossible...

http://www.ukbouldering.info/media/images/petLamb.jpg

nice beard BTW...

;0)

Cheers

si
 Graham Taylor 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon:
Join the dots it seems.
harryP 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon: Isn't it obvious?? You crank on all the chalk yer mates have put up there for ya!!!

Carnage 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon: With a nice mantle by the looks of it.
OP Simon 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Carnage:

Do you think they could have spread their kit out a bit more??

lol look where his shoes & socks are!

;0)

si
Carnage 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon: I can't laugh I'm afraid as I tend to spread my shit all over the place as well. Always in too much of a hurry to get on with it!!
Anonymous 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Carnage:

how come you always look like a goon when you are trying hard?
OP Simon 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Anonymous:

maybe he always looks like that?

In reply to Carnage:

rather spoils a pic tho eh? I'm always ranting at my "models" to move their stuff out of shot!

you'd hate me!

;0)

s
Anonymous 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Anonymous:

that lad spotting needs ot rethink the order in which he puts his clothes on too.

try asking mummy to do it for you youngster
GFoz 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon:

eww....bad spotting ahoy....
 sutty 04 Dec 2003
In reply to GFoz:

Is he actually spotting or putting a hex on him? Look at his expression and the way he is holding his hands
Craig_M 04 Dec 2003
In reply to sutty:

I thought he was giving beta in a Tommy Cooper style.
dinkypen 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Anonymous:

That 'lad spotting' happens to be one of the best Osteopaths in Sheffield! Less of your cheek laddy
Carnage 04 Dec 2003
In reply to dinkypen: What- Is he like Doogie Howser MD or somethin'? He looks about 15!!!
sloper 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon: which problem is this, if it's the one straight throught the traverse nea rht etank it's not as hard as it looks.
Carnage 04 Dec 2003
In reply to sloper: I thought it was the newish V10 on Mothers Pet?
Li'l Zé 04 Dec 2003
In reply to sloper:
> nea rht etank

It's a whole new language.
sloper 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Li'l Zé: Yes, it's an intelelctual version of 'txtspk'
 JDDD 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon: Do the chalk marks give a hint, or is that where he keeps dropping his chalk ball when he is looking for holds on an in inspection?
Li'l Zé 04 Dec 2003
In reply to sloper:
Can you learn it from books?

Incidentally, in your capacity as an oenological oracle, when is a decanter useful? We got one as a present and I'm not sure whether it's worth using for our usual fortified/tonic wines.
sloper 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Li'l Zé: If you're talking about port, there's no point decanting port unless it's vintage.

As they say, 'good wine deserves decanting and the rest needs it'.

Try buying something like a mid way claret, c.£8-9 pour a glass each (1/3 full no more) then decant the rest s-l-o-w-l-y and have a taste from the glass and then 20 minutes later have a glass from the decanter and note the difference.
OP Simon 04 Dec 2003
In reply to Carnage:
> (In reply to sloper) I thought it was the newish V10 on Mothers Pet?

Yup thats rite - looks fooking ard...

lol about the tommy cooper spotting!!
 Offwidth 04 Dec 2003
In reply to sloper:

Or better still the scientists approach: do a double blind test on the glass and a decanted glass at the same time. A pint that you cant spot the difference.
 adam carless 05 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon:
> ...top out on things like this?

now I've stopped giggling at the comments about the goon (why is it your head inflates when you're doing hard moves?) and "the kid", I'll have a go at answering the question...

I've seen (and done) 3 main approaches to toping out on big sloper tops:
1. keep slapping onwards until you realise you're lying on the top and you feel like you're climbing the floor
2. throw a foot over and flap like a beached whale (helps to wear jeans for this - more friction)
3. turn one or both hands round to palm a reasonable sloper and elegantly mantleshelf the last move.

oh, 4 - give up, pronounce yourself at the top, and jump off (if carried out with sufficient aplomb you may even convince yourself you've done the problem)
OP Simon 05 Dec 2003
In reply to adam carless:

someone replied yay!

...still I think I will go for #4 option meself!

Cheers Adam

Si
 Jus 05 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon:

You mean those other 20 odd replies are just people slagging you off?
ceri 05 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon: there is the well known "beached whale" abbroach where you get your entire body pressed against the rock and wriggle until you are able to stand up. there is also the "throw leg up and roll sideways" approach-make sure you dont roll the wrong way. or the elegant mantle for flash people.
OP Simon 05 Dec 2003
In reply to ceri:

If you can do that from those holds in that position i will buy U a pint!

si
GFoz 05 Dec 2003
In reply to sloper:

>>Try buying something like a mid way claret, c.£8-9 pour a glass each (1/3 full no more)

!!??

This is Ze you're talikng to. From Greenock.

Where 'claret' is one half of the Motherwell FC team colours and £8-9 will buy you a whole slab of Kestrel Lager out of Aldi's.....
Li'l Zé 05 Dec 2003
In reply to GFoz:
> (a whole slab of Kestrel Lager out of Aldi's.....

I thought they'd stopped making Kestrel?

Fortunately I laid some down a few years back. Should be maturing nicely.

adam carless 05 Dec 2003
In reply to Simon:

> someone replied yay!

only 'cos I couldn't think of anything else amusing to say about the piccy!

> ...still I think I will go for #4 option meself!

I'm a fan of #1, only problem is when there's someone stood on the top taking pics like that one - they tend to laugh and fall off the boulder, then I feel guilty.

Elegant mantle moves are only for where there's either someone to impress (general climbing rule - cute babes increase ability about 2 grades, and bravery about 10ft) or the landing isn't going to hurt at all.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Dec 2003
In reply to adam carless:
How about option #5 which is to grab hold of the photographer's legs and hope he doesn't fall off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...