UKC

Winter Skills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rims 13 Jan 2004
Hoping someone can give some info on locations for practising some winter skills. Looking to cover axe arrests, cutting steps, placing deadmen/axe anchors etc.

Looking to go this weekend.

Possible areas are Coire nan Lochan in Glencoe (possibly unsafe given recent/forecast weather), or Arrochar area.

Anyone know of any decent spots.

Cheers.
OP Lostgear 13 Jan 2004
Lochan would be a good place to practice, very easy walk in from the A82, about 1 1/2 hours if your fit. I have seen many groups on the left hand side of the coire practicing axe arrest etc, where the slopes are 20 to 30 degrees. Check the SAIS site though as as everyone knows, slopes of 20 to 30 degrees hold a lot of snow and therfore are prone to avalance. Also stay away from the gullies if there has been a dump.

Good luck, take plenty of pics and post them here.
 Doug 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Lostgear:
Don't know where you're from, but much of that could be practised around Loch Vrotachan close to the 'Glenshee' ski area which is pretty close to the road but still fairly high so likely to have snow.
OP rims 13 Jan 2004
In reply to Doug:

Cheers lads. Coming from Glasgow, so would prefer to stay west and save time/make the most of the daylight. Fingers crossed for decent weather.

Does anyone know of this type of thing having been practised around Arrochar..?

Cheers again.
wendell martin 13 Jan 2004
In reply to rims: Hi. I'm going to coire nan Lochan on saterday to do the same thing. I'm WML qualified and will be doing a refresher.Want to get together? Let me know by thursday night.
JimF 13 Jan 2004
In reply to rims: Cannot stress enough what 'Lostgear' has referred to above: there has been significant snowfall and we are running at Cat4 avalanche risk at several locations due to windslab (forecast 14 Jan). Those easy slopes with great run-outs are just wonderful for practicing and many are just poised for an avalanche.

Having said that, you are better to be in a popular area with plenty people around than wandering off and getting swept away in spendid isolation.
scotty 13 Jan 2004
In reply to rims: arrochar mrt run their winter skills course soon post with an e-mail address and i will forward details
OP rims 14 Jan 2004
In reply to wendell martin:

Thanks for the offer - a decent shout. However, there are a few of us, and not all can make the drive to Glencoe, so we'll stick with Arrochar.

Cheers anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...