UKC

Lack of climbing wall in Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
manclimbrock 23 Jan 2004
I have always wondered why on earth a dedicated climbing center has not be developed in Manchester. I am aware of Broughton Wall at the sports center as Iam a regular user of the wall. But Iam amazed at the fact that no one has ever thought to create a serious climbing complex. Manchester geographically is an ideal spot to have a decent wall, being surrounded by the major climbing areas in the north-west (Yorkshire, Wales, Peak etc..) So I pose the question does anyone out there know of any plans to build a dedicated climbing complex, or does anyone with the capital and the know how fancy taking up the challenge to give Manchester a much needed wall?
 Adam Lincoln 23 Jan 2004
In reply to manclimbrock:

Plans are in full flow as we speak
 JDDD 23 Jan 2004
In reply to manclimbrock: Well the problem with Manchester is that there are 3 okish ones nearby. There is the wall at Salford Uni which is good for bouldering and still charges a respectable £4. Then there is the Rope Race at Marple which is small but high and lastly the wall at Warrington. All are within 30 minutes of Manchester and cover the main populus. I am not too sure if there are that many climbers in Manchester believe it or not!

Personally I am not that fussed. I pop over to Warrington on a Monday and maybe Salford on a Thursday, but once the light comes back, it will be the Peak twice a week!
OP manclimbrock 23 Jan 2004
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Mr Lincoln, could you please elaborate on these plans?
 Adam Lincoln 23 Jan 2004

Word on the street is that a certain pie eating, bitter swigging yorkshireman has plans. Cant really say much more
richard bradley @ work 23 Jan 2004
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Do'nt forget Rochdale which is also close by (ish).

I think property prices anywhere close to central Manc would be prohibative. The plan by the Yorky must surely include some subsidy otherwise he will finish up charging £10 a go!
SiHo 23 Jan 2004
In reply to richard bradley @ work:
There's always Climb in Rochdale, or RopeRace in Marple
Joe Mansfield 23 Jan 2004

I made a similar post a couple of weeks ago in the walls forum.
Totally agree with you, surely someone is going to make a wad of cash if they build a good one.
Pity I dont live in Manchester any more!
OP crimp 23 Jan 2004
> I have always wondered why on earth a dedicated climbing center has not be developed in Manchester. I am aware of Broughton Wall at the sports center as Iam a regular user of the wall. But Iam amazed at the fact that no one has ever thought to create a serious climbing complex. Manchester geographically is an ideal spot to have a decent wall, being surrounded by the major climbing areas in the north-west (Yorkshire, Wales, Peak etc..) So I pose the question does anyone out there know of any plans to build a dedicated climbing complex, or does anyone with the capital and the know how fancy taking up the challenge to give Manchester a much needed wall?

In reply to manclimbrockevelopment of a 28,000 sq ft site is underway.
Open date Oct 04.
Found it on the.manchester city council web site
www.manchester.org.uk
 steves 24 Jan 2004
In reply to manclimbrock: climb rochdale is excellent. its easy to get to on the train from vitoria, only 2 mins walk from rochdale train station

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...