UKC

Question for those in the Huddersfield area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 31 Jan 2021

I'm from New Mill, but have not lived there since I was about twenty.

I've been curious for a while:-

How come there are two red phalluses at Emley Moor at night?

What was the problem with the one that replaced the previous mast that fell down due to being weighted down with ice?

Rob

Ridge 31 Jan 2021
In reply to veteye:

I think the second tower is a temporary structure while they update the transmitters on the main tower.

John Ww 31 Jan 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Indeed it is.

In reply to Ridge:

As above.

Once whilst driving back from work in Dewsbury, after a night shift, I saw lightening strike the top of the mast twice. Made me jump!

OP veteye 31 Jan 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Thank you all.

Tom Valentine 01 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

Some years ago the Yorkshire Post ran a raffle, first prize a ride up the mast,  but the tickets were £60.

As a local you might know that part of the original mast still exists in the form of a little control tower at the Huddersfield Sailing Club on Boshaw Whams reservoir at Hade Edge

Post edited at 08:33
OP veteye 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I used to go bilberrying at Boshaw, and yesterday I cycled past and also went by the ill-named new housing road, "Bo'shaw view", where most of the houses cannot see the small reservoir.

I headed up to the great named Snittlegate, and then across. (I was up there to sort something out at my mother's house, so thought I could do local exercise from New Mill.) The views from there are always good, and seeing a decent flock of Lapwings raised my spirits greatly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...