UKC

Loan and finance jargon and stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 23 Mar 2021

Trying to get a government gateway account. They ask you loads of questions via a credit checker, and when I get to the end it says: ‘you’ve answered incorrectly’ but it doesn’t tell me which bit. I’ll admit to being totally useless with finance stuff. So:

1. If I had a car loan, sorted via the car dealership, is this likely to be a HP agreement (I’ve paid the loan off and checked everything away so don’t have a clue).

2. Wife and me have a joint account.  If my wide took out a bank loan would it also be in my name (again, paid it off and don’t have a clue). 
It’s a right PITA this, only debt I have is the mortgage. 

James Malloch 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Regarding #1, there are HP and PCP deals done by dealers.

With HP you make payments and own the vehicle at the end.

With PCP you make monthly payments, but you need to either give the car back or make an additional lump sum payment at the end. You’re monthly payments essentially cover depreciation and their profit margin.

In reply to James Malloch:

That could be the problem: looks like my car loan was HP (I never paid a lump sum at the end)but I’ve been claiming I never had anything on HP. 

Philip 23 Mar 2021

1. It will be HP

2. Loan won't automatically be joint if you have joint account, as the loan is a separate account. It's quicker to take out in one name. If you can see it when you log in to your bank it's in your name or joint.

You can get a free credit check with Credit Karma which lets you check your record. If that helps.

In reply to Philip:

Thanks both. 

aln 24 Mar 2021

I've been self employed for a long time. HMRC has been a source of confusion, contemplation, frustration and occasionally surprising joy. Stoic perseverance is useful. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...