UKC

Car battery booster pack ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 04 Feb 2022

Recommendations please . I was about to order one primarily to charge the kids phones and iPads in the back of the car but I may as well get one that will jump start the car or the van if (when !) required . Small diesel van /mid size diesel car ). Just read a few online reviews of ones that look the part but don’t work very well , hence the post . Ta .

streapadair 04 Feb 2022
In reply to mike123:

I use a Noco, there's a range of capacities and prices. A couple of USB outputs.

In reply to mike123:

These booster packs have LiPo batteries in them as they other higher max current out vs Li-ion. They work great for starting the car but have reduced lifespan. Don't expect them to last as long as a dedicated USB power bank when used for this purpose too.

peppermill 04 Feb 2022
In reply to streapadair:

Get one they're great, especially if you find yourself by yourself at 4am trying to get to work with a flat battery (Ha.....)

Probably stating the obvious but make sure you get one powerful enough to turn over a diesel!

jimtitt 04 Feb 2022
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> These booster packs have LiPo batteries in them as they other higher max current out vs Li-ion. They work great for starting the car but have reduced lifespan. Don't expect them to last as long as a dedicated USB power bank when used for this purpose too.

Or not! My motorcycle one is Li-po, the next one up Li-ion and it varies throughout the range.

streapadair 04 Feb 2022
In reply to peppermill:

Yes, I have the 2000A version for a 2.4l diesel - laughs at it and says, c'mon give me some real work to do.

George Ormerod 04 Feb 2022
In reply to streapadair:

Noco. Haven’t used it in anger but gets excellent reviews and seem much sturdier than the cheapo one I just binned as it was overheating, swelling and not holding a charge. 

flatlandrich 04 Feb 2022
In reply to mike123:

You might want to give this a look. 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-js5in1-5-in-1-jump-start/

I've had one for a few years and the lead acid battery is tired now but it still charges the phone while camping. Two USB ports and the 300w inverter is handy if you've got something with a plug. It's pretty weighty mind. 

Post edited at 18:10
 Misha 05 Feb 2022
In reply to mike123:

I got a Noco from Halfords for about £100. Used it in anger once and it worked really well. Only issue is the leads are a bit short but they are just about ok.

timjones 06 Feb 2022
In reply to mike123:

I would recommend wiring in some back seat USB sockets for the kids devices and buying something like a Sealey Estart battery less starter pack. It will start cars in no time and you never have to worry about it's batteries being flat when you need it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...