UKC

Any update on Pete's Eats in Llanberis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wercat 28 Mar 2023

Just wondered if anyone has any more info about the reported closure in the October thread?

Hungry Horace

Jp 28 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

Was in Llanberis on the weekend and PE was very much closed. Looked like it had been half gutted. Don't have a clue about what's going on with it, beyond the previous thread.

There's a decent cup of coffee to be had from Rumdoodles, just down the High Street, but no seats, greasy breakfast or crag-rat vibes. 

Iwan 28 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

I think it is going to reopen as a Mexican restaurant. They're called Amigos Burritos and can be found on Facebook.

Post edited at 22:03
 Maggot 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Iwan:

What's wrong with El Petos Munchos?

No imagination some people. 

OP wercat 28 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

Thanks everyone,

the end of a long relationship for many of us

MisterPiggy 28 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

That's too bad - no trip to Snowdonia was complete without chilli con carne with brown rice; chocolate cake and a pint of tea. Bantering; choosing your favourites on the juke box and drawing rude cartoons on the steamed up windows. If the trip had been particularly hard, AND we'd skipped lunch, we go for the mighty Big Breakfast. Llanberis won't be the same without Pete's Eats !!!!

SiWood 28 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

I also noticed looked like it was being stripped out at the weekend. End of an era. With Eric’s gone at Tremadog as well the climbing cafe hangouts in Wales are almost a thing of the past. Siabod cafe in Capel is a welcome addition to at least get the right level grease onboard before a days climbing.

Tony Buckley 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Iwan:

Blimey.  Get this thread reposted starting with 'RIP'.

T.

That'd be for 'Rest In Pete's', obviously.

Post edited at 23:36
 Tyler 29 Mar 2023
In reply to SiWood:

The Plas y Brenin bar is a fantastic place to eat. 

kevin stephens 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

The Caban at Brynrefail (between Llanberris and Deiniolin ) does very good breakfast, coffee and cakes

stuartholmes 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

Gutted to see it go, started many a day out in here.

More gutted I broke my mug and now can't get a new one for sentiment.

CantClimbTom 29 Mar 2023
In reply to SiWood:

Maybe you should shift some of your climbing trips to the Moelwynion? Because the lakeside cafe, not being a Pete's Eats   but is more than adequate for packing in some traditional gut-luggage washed down with mugs of tea.

https://www.visitsnowdonia.info/lakeside-cafe

https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/y-moelwynion/

spidermonkey09 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

Just to recommend Pantri on the Llanberis high street for excellent breakfasts at a reasonable price, good coffee and acting like they're actually pleased to see you there to boot. A better experience all round. 

Nothing stays the same, I'm sure the glory days of Petes were great but there's been nothing glorious about the last decade. It was tired and time for it to end. 

Post edited at 09:08
 Philip 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

It's sad. For a fixed period in time in history, the unit of measure for tea in one climbing area of the UK, was the pint.

No more, alas.

We have a Pete's Eats 1pt mug. Reserved for when my wife really needs a large amount of tea, and the 500 mL Dunoon "holiday planning" mugs aren't enough.

Tyler 29 Mar 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Maybe you should shift some of your climbing trips to the Moelwynion? 

If anyone is heading to the Moelwynion  then you may well drive through Llanrwst which has a few fantastic cafes as well as the best chippy and Indian takeaway for the return journey. Big free car park in town as well

CantClimbTom 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Philip:

Wasn't only Pete's.

Back in the 90s, the Heights Llanberis bar (aka at the time "The shites Llanberis") served tea in pint glasses and had a little climbing wall. Harks back to a time when folk were strong and the tea even stronger.

In reply to Tyler:

Caffi Hen Aelwyd in Llanrwst is good!

Post edited at 09:36
 Andy Johnson 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

Feeling sad. Mourning the pies I'll never now have.

GrahamD 29 Mar 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Whereas I can get a bit misty eyed at the loss of the whole institution, the big breakfasts were, in all honesty, a plate of budget ingredient grease and slop.

OP wercat 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Andy Johnson:

And the Cafe that served Sheperd's Crag with its pre climb bacon butties and post climb home made fruit pie

OP wercat 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Philip:

Yes, will be taking special care of the pint mug now

MisterPiggy 29 Mar 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

Oh? OK, I hadn't been there since about 2005, and my last Breakfast was in the 90s, but I remember bacon, baked beans, black pudding, fried egg, fried bread, fried tomato, hash browns, sausage... On an oval plate that normal folks reserve for their Christmas turkey, with a side order of toast and tea. What's not to like? 😉

Offwidth 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

Come visit me ...we have about eight I think including a Petes mug I'm drinking tea from right now.... most of ours are from Yosemite NP  (oddly enough bigger than the UK pint mugs we have).

Pete's was always OK to me but Caban is steps higher up in quality.

Lankyman 29 Mar 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

> Whereas I can get a bit misty eyed at the loss of the whole institution, the big breakfasts were, in all honesty, a plate of budget ingredient grease and slop.

I think it's the passing of an institution as much as the quality of the cuisine. I only passed that way once or twice so can remain detached. My equivalent would be the Fountains Café in Ingleton. For anyone caving in the Dales it was a sad day indeed when that closed. Truly the end of an era which I still associate with many, many fantastic exploits.

ianstevens 29 Mar 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

> The Caban at Brynrefail (between Llanberris and Deiniolin ) does very good breakfast, coffee and cakes

sssshhhhhhh

Moacs 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Maggot:

> What's wrong with El Petos Munchos?

> No imagination some people. 

They need to have "gran Jim" on the menu

Alex Riley 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Moacs:

For anyone visiting down tremadog way Y Garreg in Llanfrothen is 5 mins drive and does excellent cafe food and pizzas in the evenings.

TheGeneralist 29 Mar 2023

Pete's Eats is one of the ultimate examples of a triumph of branding and naming over substance.

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Maybe you should shift some of your climbing trips to the Moelwynion? Because the lakeside cafe, not being a Pete's Eats   but is more than adequate for packing in some traditional gut-luggage washed down with mugs of tea.

Second this, better food than Pete's and convenient for some brilliant crags.

profitofdoom 29 Mar 2023
In reply to TheGeneralist:

> Pete's Eats is one of the ultimate examples of a triumph of branding and naming over substance.

Maybe, but in what respect? The food? Pete's was great in it's heyday for clientele, full of climbers, good atmosphere, some good photos on display, great location and place to meet. That's how I thought then anyway. I didn't care about the food.... I didn't expect Michelin stars on Llanberis High Street all those years ago (sorry if this sounds sarcastic, not my intention at all)

Andy Say 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

It all went downhill when Wendy's closed (-:

Iwan 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

Hold the press!

The Mexican side of the business will be run out of a catering van; Pete's may yet be reopening as greasy spoon...

Gwain 29 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

Does anyone know what has happened to all the pictures and memorabilia?  It would be a shame if it all got skipped. 

In reply to ianstevens:

> sssshhhhhhh

Because minimising awareness will ensure its survival?

In reply to wercat:

In Llanberis yesterday. Spoke to a local in a shop. Apparently place is being done up and due to reopen in the summer as a cafe. 

ianstevens 30 Mar 2023
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Because minimising awareness will ensure its survival?

It's rarely not busy in my experience!

In reply to ianstevens:

I keep meaning to drop in and try it?

ianstevens 30 Mar 2023
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

It's great. Also worth noting its far from a Pete's replacement - beverages come in conventional volumes and they serve actual (incredibly) tasty food, not the cheapest crapola from cash and carry in a puddle of oil.

Post edited at 11:01
In reply to ianstevens:

I was ambivalent about Pete's, I thought it a bit over-priced for the quality it offered (not even good at the greasy spoon stuff) but I quite liked the 'feel' of the place. I finally gave up on it when I realised it would take half an hour to get served when in a relatively short queue.

In reply to wercat:

Does anyone know what is going to happen to all the new route books? Many a rainy day has been spent clawing through those and I would love to get my hands on some for the coffee table! 

In reply to MisterPiggy:

> That's too bad - no trip to Snowdonia was complete without chilli con carne with brown rice; chocolate cake and a pint of tea. Bantering; choosing your favourites on the juke box and drawing rude cartoons on the steamed up windows. If the trip had been particularly hard, AND we'd skipped lunch, we go for the mighty Big Breakfast. Llanberis won't be the same without Pete's Eats !!!!

I will certainly miss the place and so will someone very close to me. 😞

BlownAway 30 Mar 2023
In reply to Jacknoblehawkins:

> Does anyone know what is going to happen to all the new route books? Many a rainy day has been spent clawing through those and I would love to get my hands on some for the coffee table! 

Back in 2010 - with the blessing of Pete himself - I scanned all the surviving books from the cafe, apart from one, which was too big to fit the flat bed scanner I was using at the time. 

I believe they were then deposited in the archives in Bangor for safe keeping.

Phil

Post edited at 22:23
 Greenbanks 30 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

The Parson’s Nose in Settle used to be good…is it still there?

Lankyman 31 Mar 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

> The Parson’s Nose in Settle used to be good…is it still there?

Do you mean The Naked Man? That's the only café I used to go to in Settle and it wasn't really a cavers' place particularly. There used to be a much better one just up the road in Stainforth but that's long gone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...