UKC

Zen & the art of magnesium supplementing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 20 Apr 2023

So you want to get your act together, calm your demons, and focus all your energy into that one goal which satiates desire. You have a method, a guru and a good teacher. But what if all your striving is underpinned by failure at a cellular level ?

This well referenced web page has news for you:

https://bebrainfit.com/magnesium-anxiety-stress/ 

'Addressing a magnesium deficiency can have a profound impact on your life. You can expect to experience better overall mental well-being — feeling happier, more relaxed, and more resilient to stress, and having improved focus and concentration, increased energy, and better sleep — once you’ve optimized your magnesium intake.'

In reply to LeeWood:

So that's why climbers cover their hands with liberal doses of magnesium carbonate!

nastyned 20 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

Magnesium is a laxative.

bouldery bits 20 Apr 2023
In reply to nastyned:

That can make you feel more relaxed I suppose?

OP LeeWood 21 Apr 2023
In reply to nastyned:

> Magnesium is a laxative.

In the correct balance maybe that's what is needed ?!

Dave Garnett 21 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

> 'Addressing a magnesium deficiency can have a profound impact on your life. You can expect to experience better overall mental well-being — feeling happier, more relaxed, and more resilient to stress, and having improved focus and concentration, increased energy, and better sleep — once you’ve optimized your magnesium intake.'

Otherwise known as the placebo effect.  Cheaper ways of getting all the magnesium you need include eating something green.  More enjoyable ways include eating dark chocolate.

SouthernSteve 21 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

An interesting subject, but in a sea of Facebook/Twitter/social 'propaganda' it is difficult to be clear. I found magnesium interactions in stress (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33260549/) and depression (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27910808/) on Pubmed.

OP LeeWood 21 Apr 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

> So that's why climbers cover their hands with liberal doses of magnesium carbonate!

Whole books have been written on transdermal absorption of magnesium, however it's value has been researched and largely refuted.

Myth or Reality-Transdermal Magnesium?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28788060/

Stob Dearg 21 Apr 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

If you're going to have a placebo it's important to get a strong one.

Post edited at 09:49
 mondite 21 Apr 2023
In reply to nastyned:

> Magnesium is a laxative.

So that's why climbers shouldnt lick their hands before washing them.

Dave Garnett 21 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

> Myth or Reality-Transdermal Magnesium?

Highly-charged metallic cations fail to be measurably absorbed through the skin and subcutaneous fat either in aqueous solutions or as crystalline solids shock.

When anything starts with 'Myth or Reality' you know what the answer is. 

In reply to mondite:

Is it OK to lick other climber's hands?

mondite 21 Apr 2023
In reply to Punter S Thompson:

> Is it OK to lick other climber's hands?

Depends if they are belaying or not.

ripper 21 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

Magnesium, all I know is it burns with a lovely white flame.

Are junior school-age kids still given chemistry sets for christmas, and encouraged to play with them completely unsupervised? 

SouthernSteve 21 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

> Transepidermal absorption

If it did to any great extent it would probably kill you!

Post edited at 15:04
 Brass Nipples 21 Apr 2023
In reply to Punter S Thompson:

> Is it OK to lick other climber's hands?

>  

If it works as a hold…

OP LeeWood 21 Apr 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Otherwise known as the placebo effect.  Cheaper ways of getting all the magnesium you need include eating something green.  More enjoyable ways include eating dark chocolate.

Are you discounting all supplement brands in saying this ? You're right to be sceptical - In the States Pfizer owns a brand of supplements called Centrum - for which Pfizer made misleading claims. Pfizer was obliged to back down - Reuters.

The top 30 foodstuffs for magnesium are listed in this NIH doc, and you're right about the green leaves - but spinach is way ahead of broccoli. Chocolate however does not make the list.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

Here in France I am able to purchase a product called Sel de Nigari - magnesium chloride - which cost approx 12 euros for 1kg and is set to last me a lifetime at 1/4tsp / day

Dave Garnett 21 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

> Are you discounting all supplement brands in saying this ? You're right to be sceptical 

I know!

> The top 30 foodstuffs for magnesium are listed in this NIH doc, and you're right about the green leaves - but spinach is way ahead of broccoli.

It must be greener. Every molecule of chlorophyll contains a magnesium ion.

OP LeeWood 22 Apr 2023
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Useful sources, thanks. 1st source quite:

'This overlap in the results suggests that stress could increase magnesium loss, causing a deficiency; and in turn, magnesium deficiency could enhance the body's susceptibility to stress, resulting in a magnesium and stress vicious circle.'

Thats a good stepping stone for my own recent experience.

One week ago  I was playing chess with my good friend (also a climbing partner) Lisa; victory for either of us was inconclusive as we ran out of time after midnight. The game was v absorbing and undoubtedly got pretty tense. On return home I couldn't get to sleep, and suffered with cold feet. Finally (bedsocks on !) I went, but woke later with leg cramps. In the day previous I did no heavy exercise and did not get dehydrated.

Sleep patterns are often wakeful but it's rare that I have difficulty to get off initially. Leg cramps have been rare but notable after heavy exercise with dehydration. I have tried magnesium supplementing on and off over 5 years, and been 51% convinced ... before forgetting to keep them up.

So, after my v disturbed night I took my dose - just 1/4 tsp. The night following was not only different to the previous but notably sounder than the last two weeks. Magnesium confidence is up to 90%.

You may see this as more physical than mental in result, but consider that mental alertness depends on quality sleep. Beyond 'alertness' I have definitely experienced a glow of well-being after my dose, and would say this is not placebo because I wasn't expecting it.

Interesting quote from the OP source:

'Carolyn Dean, MD, ND, author of the perennial bestseller The Magnesium Miracle, has found magnesium deficiency to be a major contributor to anxiety and panic attacks. She explains that under stress, the body creates stress hormones that cause a cascade of physical effects, all of which consume magnesium.'

Doug 22 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

I'm not convinced but my wife claims that drinking 'Rozana', a mineral water rich in Magnesium, sold in most French supermakets, is beneficial for her.

https://www.eau-rozana.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...