UKC

ARTICLE: The 83-year-old Ukrainian Climber Coaching Children in Kharkiv

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 Aug 2023

83-year-old climbing coach Liliya Samsonova has continued to train children in Kharkiv, Ukraine during the war as residents return to the severely damaged city.

Kharkiv, a Ukrainian city near the border with Russia, was heavily shelled throughout the first six months of the war when occupying Russian troops attempted to seize the city and almost succeeded. Most of its citizens fled. In September 2022, Russian forces were repelled from Kharkiv Oblast. People started to return. Liliya Samsonova, an 83-year-old accomplished Ukrainian climber, skier, sports manager and coach, was one of them.

Read more

Mick Ward 03 Aug 2023
In reply to UKC Articles:

Good on her!

'They become alive here,' Samsonova said.

What it's all about.

Mick 

girlymonkey 03 Aug 2023

Incredible!

I wonder if there is a way of donating climbing shoes to her? I have a pair I could send if there was an address or something?

In reply to girlymonkey:

Hi! 

My name Nastasiya Uvarova. I had been working in the her sport school last several years.

Now I am in the UK with my 10 years old daghter in Maidenhead.

I have collected some equipment for Lilia Samsonova and ou can join my parcel.

If it will be interesting for you, let me know, please.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Nastasiya Uvarova

girlymonkey 03 Aug 2023
In reply to Nastasiya Uvarova:

Yes! I have recently moved house so still lots of stuff in boxes, but I am pretty sure I can get to the shoes which I could send out. They have plenty of life left and are size 38, so ideal for kids to use. 

kevin stephens 04 Aug 2023

I have fond memories of Kharkiv and its people from when I worked there around 20 or more years ago and often wonder of their situation. I will send you some nearly new climbing shoes

Misha 05 Aug 2023

I won some brand new stuff in a raffle recently (rope, quickdraws) and have a few other things spare which are nearly  new, including a pair of shoes (adult size). Happy to post to you.

FrogHero 05 Aug 2023

Can I add some kids shoes to the parcel? I have a few good pairs in need of a home, and I can’t think of a better one. Have emailed you.

Thank you for taking this on!

In reply to FrogHero:

It will be great!

You can sent it to me:

SL66LR, 69 Belmont Cresent, Maidenhead, Nastasiya Uvarova

Next volunters car going to Ukraine on 22 August. It will be great have yours shoes before this time.

Thanks in advance,

Nastasiya Uvarova

In reply to Misha:

It will be great!

You can sent it to me:

Next volunters car going to Ukraine on 22 August. It will be great have yours shoes before this time.

Thanks in advance,

Nastasiya Uvarova

In reply to kevin stephens:

It will be great!

You can sent it to me:

Thanks in advance,

Nastasiya Uvarova

In reply to girlymonkey:

It will be great!

You can sent it to me:

Thanks in advance,

Nastasiya Uvarova

kevin stephens 12 Aug 2023
In reply to Nastasiya Uvarova: on their way

AltyNeil 15 Aug 2023

I have posted a pair of shoes to you today.

Misha 30 Aug 2023

Sorry for the delay. I’ve put together a package and will post to you tomorrow. Hope it will be helpful. 

A sad update from Anna Schliakova, who wrote this story:

'Liliya's only son, Serhiy Shalyhin, 52, was killed while evacuating people from Kupyansk in Kharkiv Oblast. He was a volunteer. A Russian missile hit the van and killed everyone inside: two volunteers, another two women, and four men. Shalyhin's wife was in the following car and witnessed everything with her own eyes. It's a terrible war.'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...