UKC

Stowable memoryfoam thin mattress for car camping - option ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DeLorean 23 Aug 2023

Hi

Would anyone have any recommendations on [memory foam] folding/stowable mattresses that could be utilised in the back of a vehicle in this usage case?

(Nissan Pathfinder)

It all folds flat which is great. There's an IKEA option that could work for c. 100 squid. Just asking around if anyone found another slightly cheaper solution.

Thanks in advance

Dan Arkle 23 Aug 2023
In reply to DeLorean:

I use a memory foam topper for a normal bed over a big thermorest. Luxury. 

Dr.S at work 23 Aug 2023
In reply to DeLorean:

The really thick exped ones are probably up to the task - the lass has a bad back but finds these as good as our pricey mattress at home

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Exped_MegaMat_Duo_10_M_Sleeping_Mat/

Wooj 23 Aug 2023
In reply to DeLorean:

I got one of these as a topper for my camper van. Got the 2” double. Easy to trim to size with a bread knife. I roll it up and store it in one of the cupboards. It’s ace and cheaper than £100 

wont let me post the eBay link unfortunately, but search for memory foam mattress topper and you’ll see it come up. It’s the one with multiple options for depth and size. 

OP DeLorean 23 Aug 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Gucci! No idea such a thing existed. May be overkill $$$ wise on this occasion. The Ikea option is £100 albeit with the stowability angle. But thanks

OP DeLorean 23 Aug 2023
In reply to Wooj:

I see it thanks - do you use on it's own or in conjunction with something else - i.e. is it sufficient enough padding on it's own? PS did you cover?  - customise a duvet cover I suppose...

Dr.S at work 23 Aug 2023
In reply to DeLorean:

Yeah it’s OTT, but is more than good enough for an emergency spare bed at home in the office, and it’s the only way for family camping to be an option so soon saves on the costs of cottages with un-comfy beds

OP DeLorean 24 Aug 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

You temptress!

Ok thanks good to know

pencilled in 24 Aug 2023
In reply to DeLorean:

i checked what the big brands were using and bought some of that. Warp-knitted spacer fabric it’s called apparently. I found a distributor that sold 30mm depth off the roll so bought enough for two and cut in half. I bought some other non-warp-knitted slimmer spacer fabric too. I put the combinations of 30mm, 5mm, 10mm and another 5mm into a duvet cover and it works a treat. For the kids one, I just put 30mm and 5mm and it was fine. Sadly I can’t find any detail of the product name or the distributor, sorry. 

Edit: sorry, the reason I wanted cot-safe breathable was that my youngest at the time was borderline cot age. Otherwise I’m sure a length of memory foam would have done fine. I’m glad I used the warp knitted stuff a few years down the line, though, it’s held consistency and bounce nicely. 

Post edited at 13:23
 DobloDan 24 Aug 2023
In reply to DeLorean:

I have this one from Wayfair in the van. Less than £100. Thin, fold-able, comes with carry bag and comfy if you don't mind a firm mattress. Would definitely recommend.  

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/textiles-bedding/pdp/symple-stuff-dull-small-doub...

Wooj 29 Aug 2023
In reply to DeLorean:

I use it with a fitted (elastic edges) mattress protector and then a fitted sheet on top of that. It all rolls up together and stowed vertically in my wardrobe cupboard in the van. Very quick and easy to roll out then chuck duvet on top, then quick and easy to roll away. I slept with just a sheet on top of the rock and roll bed once. Wasn’t comfy at all! Topper is a must in my opinion. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...