UKC

Mounting a fingerboard on exposed stone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeramsay 02 Nov 2023

Like it says in the title, any advice for mounting a board in a stone lintel above a doorway in my gaff? Seems to be a lot of info about brick, is this similar? I knowpretty much nothing about building. I was thinking of using a backboard attached with either screws in lead anchors or Thunderbolts - sensible idea or sketchy? Feel a bit apprehensive about drilling into my house so canvassing for some advice before I pull the trigger, thanks in advance!

stani 02 Nov 2023
In reply to joeramsay:

I'd attach a backboard first to the stone work then attach the fingerboard to that i think...

My two penn'orth 😀

DamonRoberts 02 Nov 2023
In reply to joeramsay:

Depends on the type of stone. Most should take a plug ok, and likely a masonry screw/thunderbolt too. Is there somewhere you can test drilling into the same material and see how well it take a standard Rawl plug?

If it's a porous stone, using a stainless fixing could be a good idea. 

If you want to go massively overkill, get a set of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-r-kem11-175-kit-styrene-free-polyester-... (or shorter ones depending on the lintel depth) fix a sheet of ply to them with packets if it's uneven and screw the board to that. 

john arran 02 Nov 2023
In reply to joeramsay:

The advantage of using a backboard is that you're free to choose the best places to drill into the stone, i.e. relatively flat and even sections that aren't too recessed compared to the rest of the wall, without being constrained by the location of the holes in the fingerboard. Two drilled holes in the stone, with ordinary rawlplugs, might suffice but three of four would be better. The expected load of a fingerboard isn't really that great so any rawlplugs that take 50mm or so screws should be fine. 

Assuming the fingerboard isn't going to be anywhere likely to get wet, the backboard won't need to be made of anything fancy, Anything better than the cheapest chipboard will probably work fine but I'd personally recommend P5 waterproof chipboard flooring, as it's ultra-compressed and has a bullet hard surface for really very little cost. With a backboard already in place it will be a simple matter to screw the fingerboard directly to it.

Fraser 02 Nov 2023
In reply to joeramsay:

Two short vertical battens, about 400mm apart, fixed with a couple of wallplugs say 130-140mm apart and providing min. 35-40mm embedment in the stone will be fine. Use packers to get the backboard nice and level and you're sorted. (Chipboard is fine unless you're talking about an exterior location.)

Ram MkiV 02 Nov 2023
In reply to joeramsay:

Sure it's stone and not concrete?  Watch out for rebar/steel if the latter.  Should be fine with plastic rawl plugs either way as John and others have said.  I find 6mm diameter plugs and 5mm diameter screws make for a tight fit and solid fixing.  Make your holes a good few cm in from the edges of the lintel to prevent bursting chunks off when you drive your screws in. I'd say masonary screws/bolts and chem fixings overkill.  Better quality branded plugs tend to grab better.  Blow out dust from your drill holes before inserting plugs.

OP joeramsay 12 Nov 2023
In reply to john arran:

Thanks all. Held off replying till I'd had a go. Board is now up, tentatively hung off it and it didn't explode - went with ordinary 5mm screws and plugs, seems solid enough. Thanks again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...