UKC

Hemsedal guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nniff 06 Dec 2023

It seems that that the new guide to Hemsedal is not going to be available until Jan 2025, and so I'm scratching around trying to find anything as some sort of starting point for when we get there in February.

If anyone has anything that they would lend or sell I'd be most grateful.  Happy to scan and return promptly if you'd prefer.

I have some handwritten notes with icefall names , but I'm struggling to identify which 1:50,000 maps would be the most suitable - there seems to be half a dozen that all overlap.  Then it's a matter of hoping that the names on the notes can be found on the map. Hemsedal Topo 3000 hiking map looks to be a contender..

Any assistance gratefully received....

Post edited at 11:21
 MB42 06 Dec 2023
In reply to nniff:

The 2012 edition is pretty widely available inside and outside Norway and covers plenty of stuff:

https://www.vpg.no/Klatrefoerer-Hemsedal-Ice/148884/

Its not always the best guide but perfectly reasonable. For maps mostly I just used my phone there is the Norgeskart app and a slightly better version using the same basemaps Norgeskart outdoors, both of which are pretty cheap. The local shops should have the relevant paper maps.

Edit: Maybe its not so available in the UK. I've seen it about quite a bit in Norway so you should be fine to get it when you arrive, but if you want I can buy a copy here and post it to you when I'm back in the UK at Christmas

Post edited at 13:23
 wbo2 06 Dec 2023
In reply to nniff:

norgeskart.no is where I'd start for maps , and just print bits I wanted

OP nniff 07 Dec 2023
In reply to MB42:

Thankyou for the insight - that makes life easier.  No need to buy one - we  can pop into the tourist office easily enough once there.

OP nniff 07 Dec 2023
In reply to wbo2:

> norgeskart.no is where I'd start for maps , and just print bits I wanted

Sounds like a plan to me!  Thanks.

MB42 07 Dec 2023
In reply to nniff:

Actually I might wind back my statement a bit - it was on sale in lots of places when I bought it last season but maybe some places are selling down their stock before the new edition as I looked in my local outdoors shop last night and it no longer has it...

Assuming you're going straight to Hemsedal then my friends picked it up from MOH last year so might be worth checking directly with them:

https://moh.no/

Or also worth asking on the conditions page as the authors are active there:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184936911631448/

There seems to be a comment suggesting the reprint will be in the local shops by Christmas...

Post edited at 11:31
 Doghouse 07 Dec 2023
In reply to nniff:

Hi, I've a copy you could borrow if you just want to scan it.  PM me and we can sort something out.

olddirtydoggy 07 Dec 2023
In reply to nniff:

If all fails, message me as I have a pile of laminates for all the best routes in the valley.

OP nniff 28 Dec 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

The plan above has worked, thanks to the generosity of @Doghouse and the surprising efficiency of the Post Office.  

Got to love these cameras that recognise documents and do all the framing and scaling for you.

In reply to nniff:

I was there a few weeks ago (skiing) and the local outdoor shop had plenty of copies on sale.

OP nniff 28 Dec 2023
In reply to featuresforfeet:

> I was there a few weeks ago (skiing) and the local outdoor shop had plenty of copies on sale.

That will save squinting at the phone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...