UKC

UKC Christmas Climbing Quiz 2023

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 25 Dec 2023

The big day is finally here, and so is UKC's Xmas quiz!

You can't head to the crag until you've finished your brussel sprouts, so put those itchy fingers to use by answering a load of climbing questions instead.

As always, no Googling or UKC searching allowed!

Read more

aksys 25 Dec 2023
In reply to UKC Articles:

Just wanted to wish everyone on UKC a happy Christmas and thanks for the quiz. A happy time peeling veg and trying to figure out answers with my teenage climber son. We look forward to this every year.

Thanks. 

Post edited at 16:35
 remus Global Crag Moderator 25 Dec 2023

Surely the tag line should have been

> The big day is finally here, and so is Christmas!

The topo round was savage. Well done to whoever came up with that.

Brendan Rose 25 Dec 2023

Seems like I spend too much time looking at guidebooks, I thought the Topo round was much easier than the crossword. Thanks for a very well designed quiz ukc

Misha 25 Dec 2023

Thanks, good fun as ever. It’s surprising how tricky some of the topos were, despite knowing most of the crags fairly well. Was interesting checking my answers against the guide books, got a few wrong which in retrospect should have been fairly obvious…

danieleaston 25 Dec 2023

Please strike my score from the board! I googled the hell out of the cryptic crossword, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless.

Jim blackford 25 Dec 2023
In reply to remus:

What a great quiz. The trick for the topo's is to be really into reading guidebooks - and despite knowing the crags i still found it hard!

In reply to remus:

Glad you enjoyed it. The topo round has traditionally been my department. The quizzy bit is mostly Xa and Nat, and it is all put together by Andy.

I must admit that I thought the topo round might be a bit hard when I found it difficult myself on Christmas morning despite having only created it on Friday. The first version had 5 extra ‘dud’ crags in the list - glad we got rid of those. Apologies to boulderers, I should have put some gnarly eliminate walls in but it was a little rushed in the end.

Happy Christmas everyone

Alan

Great quiz! Very much enjoyed the topo section! Based my answers on obvious routes I had done on the crags I knew, there were a few I had not a scooby about, guessed the stanage ones… luckily there were classic crags like the cromlech, cloggy, found the high Tor one tricky and was glad to have done a bit of Lakeland climbing! 

Etta 29 Dec 2023

This was great fun. Wasn't 100% sure on one of the E-grades and had to do some guesswork on two of the topos. I struggled a bit starting the crossword, but once the bottom right quadrant was done, everything suddenly clicked. This was my best Christmas quiz so far, only one mistake in the end

Happy holidays to everyone at UKC!

Michael Hood 30 Dec 2023
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> The first version had 5 extra ‘dud’ crags in the list - glad we got rid of those.

I think any 'dud' crags would have kiboshed me, I only managed to get all the topos because I kept on being left with a wrong un at the end so had to think again but I really enjoyed the challenge.

Didn't get anywhere on the other bits of the quiz, I've never got into the mindset of cryptic clues and the "general knowledge" was too recent 😁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...