UKC

Petzl Quark Trigrest modification

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TechnoJim 16 Jan 2024

Ey up,

I'd like to keep the upper rest on my Quarks but without the trigger. I unbolted them, took the orange piece out and rebolted them onto the shaft nice and tight, but they started slipping down last week when I was out climbing.

Anyone got a foolproof method to fix them in place? I was thinking about just sawing the trigger lever off but that seems a bit brutish. 

Ta.

Edit - or maybe just get a pair of grip rests to replace them, like on the Sumtec?

Post edited at 09:00
 John Kelly 16 Jan 2024
In reply to TechnoJim:

I'm removing the quark trigger as soon as i get chance, freezes your finger.

Not sure how yet so watching 

PaulJepson 16 Jan 2024
In reply to TechnoJim:

Got any old roadbike innertubes? Snip a small piece off and pull it up the shaft and clamp the trig-rest over that rather than straight onto the bear metal. I did this on my grivels and it worked well. 

I'm also based in Sheffo and have some old tubes if you want one. 

Old tubes are great; I also use them as pick/spike protectors in transport. 

OP TechnoJim 17 Jan 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

I was thinking about wrapping the shafts in self amalgamating tape anyway so presumably could use this instead. 

Without the orange trigger there's a pretty big gap between the two halves of the hand rest even with the bolt done up nice and tight so I might get the hot knife out anyway and just cut the trigger down.

Graeme Hammond 17 Jan 2024
In reply to TechnoJim:

the orange trigger bit is the bit that keeps it in place as it cams the rest into place to stop it sliding. I suspect adding a spacer with a few extra bolts/washers in its place then tightening the bolt up a bit more will hold it in one fixed place. However make sure not to over tighten it as the bolt only goes through plastic so if over tighten it pulls the bolt through the plastic (learnt this from bitter experience modifying another axe). A bit of grip tape under the trigger rest would also help it grip in this position.

alternatively:

blue ice sliding pommels fits on the current model of the Quark (Tighten up the quick release) see photo

this product may also work:

https://www.braemarmountainsports.com/climbing-equipment-accessories/ice-ax...

i used it to modify an old Aztar axe by cutting away some of the rubber handle to fit this at the bottom of the handle to make the axe perform very similar to a quark (without the plastic rest on the back. it leaves a bit of metal on the handle side but this is not a problem when wearing gloves. However I'm not sure how well this would work or grip in place on a Quark. See photo

In reply to John Kelly:

Me too, I discovered that a couple of weekends ago. Wasn't nice.

OP TechnoJim 17 Jan 2024
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

That Blue Ice pommel looks like it might be the thing to make a proper job of it. Having unbolted my trig rests I've noticed that the bolt has indeed started to deform the plastic where I've cranked it up to compensate for the missing orange piece. Ta. 

lukevf 17 Jan 2024
In reply to TechnoJim:

Less thinking more sawing. I never looked back. (TBF i did check the price of replacement trigger rests before i committed, they're 12.50 at EMS)

OP TechnoJim 17 Jan 2024
In reply to lukevf:

> Less thinking more sawing. 

Words to live by for sure

Bottom Clinger 17 Jan 2024
In reply to TechnoJim:

> Less thinking more sawing. 

“Words to live by for sure “

Not if you want to become a magician. 
Or if you want to be a magicians assistant. 

Post edited at 18:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...