UKC

Somewhere to meet near Kendal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 21 Jan 2024

A random post, but I’m looking for somewhere to meet up with family for 3/4 hours nearish to Kendal (J36 is halfway between us).

Will have a baby and a dog so maybe a big pub that is happy for us to sit around for a while, or national trust property/garden centre with cafe.

Main thing is that it’s dog friendly and therefore has somewhere we can nip out for a walk close by.

It would be easy in summer as somewhere like Sizergh Castle would be perfect, but perhaps not the most cozy at this time of year.

Any ideas would be welcomed!

Rick Graham 21 Jan 2024
In reply to James Malloch:

We had similar situation just after new year, three generations, incl dog and baby.

We went to the Wheatsheaf in Brigsteer. Not over  busy and welcoming.

Also had a changing table in disabled toilet.

Post edited at 16:41
 felt 21 Jan 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

Similarly, the Black Labrador in Underbarrow or, a bit more upmarket, the Punch Bowl in Crosthwaite, both c. 5 to 10 mins on from Brigsteer.

plyometrics 21 Jan 2024

Sizergh is perfect for what you’re wanting. You’ve got the NT castle and Strickland Arms, as well as some really nice walks.

Brigsteer as Rick suggests, Levens Hall or the Hare and Hounds at Levens are other solid options. 

Have a great time. 

Liam Taylor 21 Jan 2024

Longlands half way between 35 and 36. Great pub, lovely food and on the canal so you can walk as much or as little as you choose 

In reply to plyometrics:

ate at the Strickland Arms recently, very impressed

jayme 23 Jan 2024

The Inn at Crooklands hotel. Easy walks along Lancaster canal.

This is from their website " There are even several secret nooks for families, friends, dogs and their owners to enjoy their own ‘private’ pub experience."

yorkshire_lad2 24 Jan 2024

How about Kirkby Lonsdale (a similar distance from J36 as Kendal but in the other direction, i.e. east, along the A65).  Lots of nice places to eat, things to look at, walks along the river, Ruskin's View (if/when it's open again due to repairs), nice large grassy picnic area by the river, free parking on the cul-de-sac road to the bridge (if you can get in, so don't always have to pay in Booths or elsewhere), nice market square, pretty church, some connection with Peter Pan (apparently it was penned there, I only discovered that recently).  For walking, the Barbon Fells are hard to beat for a quiet, corner struggling to not be eclipsed by their bigger closer neighbours (e.g. the Howgills, the Lake District, and Whernside/Ingleborough).

(No, I don't work for the Kirkby Lonsdale Tourist Board and I have no connection with KL other than as a big fan!)

Lankyman 24 Jan 2024
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Don't forget William Sturgeon (invented the first practical electric motor) born in Whittington nearby. I think he has a plaque in/on the church. He's got a blue plaque in Whittington which is itself a nice place. I think Sturgeon did demos in the Snooty Fox in KL.

Harry Jarvis 24 Jan 2024

Can you recommend anywhere in particular for a casual lunch in Kirkby Lonsdale? We drive through there regularly, but usually just go straight through (with the occasional stop in Booths).

Rog Wilko 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Botanica 64 Main Street has inside or outside eating, including covered outside. Nice food.

Post edited at 12:17
 tjhare1 24 Jan 2024

Soup at the bakery (sit down or takeaway) is usually pretty good, with the benefit that once that's out of the way you can indulge in your choice of cake/scone/pastry/etc!

Harry Jarvis 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Botanica 64 Main Street has inside or outside eating, including covered outside. Nice food.

Thank you. We may investigate that next time we're passing through. 

yorkshire_lad2 24 Jan 2024

> Can you recommend anywhere in particular for a casual lunch in Kirkby Lonsdale? We drive through there regularly, but usually just go straight through (with the occasional stop in Booths).

If you walk down the street from the Market Square towards the church, you will find a number of possibilities for all tastes and budgets along that street, and also in the square itself. And the chocolate shop is a must for chocoholics!

OP James Malloch 25 Jan 2024

Thanks for the recommendations! Family are coming from Barrow so Brigsteer looks like a good location being basically halfway between us. 

Or if the weather improves, maybe Levens.

Now to just find a suitable weekend…

Harry Jarvis 25 Jan 2024

> If you walk down the street from the Market Square towards the church, you will find a number of possibilities for all tastes and budgets along that street, and also in the square itself. And the chocolate shop is a must for chocoholics!

Thank you. The chocolate shop sounds like a must-visit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...