UKC

Axe grip repair question

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 NBR 06 Mar 2024

So the rubbery grips on my axes are pretty knackerised.

I brough some DMM grippy grip tape stuff, am I best just whacking a layer over or should I strip off the existing rubber and put on a couple of layers of the tape?

DaveHK 06 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

I'd strip the buggered stuff off. Is it self amalgamating tape you have? That's pretty good stuff.

OP NBR 06 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

https://dmmwales.com/products/grippy-grip-tape

I got some of this, its not the black cloth tage u can see in the picture that is just holding the end, the rubbery stuff is under the white backing tape.

DaveHK 06 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

Pretty sure that's self amalgamating tape. 

Ramon Marin 06 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

I would strip the knackered bits. For re-taping you have a few options, self amalgamating tape does the job, but tends to roll. Put a layer of finger/sports tape first so it has something to bond to. remember taping bottom to top. Another option I use is Plastidip, same applies, you'll need a bonding layer of fingertape. Some of my friends use Stixall but I haven't used it myself and it's very messy. Some people also like tennis racket. tape, the skinny version, but again I don't find it that durable. Another friend uses non-slip shrinking tubing and that seems very durable. I hope one of these works for you.

Post edited at 17:16
OP NBR 06 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

Thanks for all the input.

CurlyStevo 06 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

I'm not a big fan of self amalgamating tape, axes with it on stick to each other and damage the tape ripping them apart.  I also don't find it very durable or that it sticks to metal only its self.

Post edited at 22:53
 DaveHK 07 Mar 2024
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I'm not a big fan of self amalgamating tape, axes with it on stick to each other and damage the tape ripping them apart.  I also don't find it very durable or that it sticks to metal only its self.

if you keep them separate for a few trips they soon collect enough fluff and pubes that this stops being an issue. I've had tape jobs that have lasted several seasons which seems reasonable at about a fiver a go.

duchessofmalfi 07 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

Strip off the existing rubbish.

Buy some self-amalgamating tape.  Wind it around the shaft overlapping each layer by 1/2. Go a bit higher than you intend to use (then your gloves won't unpick the top bit).

Fiona Reid 07 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Agreed, I first applied self amalgamating tape to my quarks in 2013 - my grips are fine I've applied it to the top so they don't freeze to my gloves when daggering or walking with the axes.

A few bits peeled off over the years and covid stuffed 2 winters but I've only just redone mine so it's lasted 8 years of climbing. 

I peeled the old stuff off, blunt knife useful for the any large stubborn bits, rubbed clean with a non stick scourer and reapplied.

I've a massive roll of the stuff so probably works out at 50p to £1 per axe every 7-8 years.... before total replacement I had patched a couple of bits but eventually the tape gets hard/ brittle so better to replace.  

When you first apply try to keep the tape from touching other tape - it sticks to itself. After a few outings it's no longer sticky.  

Post edited at 09:49
 Pids 07 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

I went radical, stripped off the existing grip and glued on a an old bike inner tube, worked for me and not an issue with stuff sticking to it.

In reply to NBR:

SA tape as suggested above. For the best results put a layer of double sided tape on the axes first. A dusting of chalk will stop the axes sticking together before they collect enough gunk naturally.

Avoid the silicon based SA tape, it splits too easily.

Post edited at 14:08
 top cat 09 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

None slip heat shrink tubing, available in red, blue, black and green on eBay.  Do the whole shaft.

Sharp 09 Mar 2024
In reply to top cat:

Not sure why that got a dislike, it's great stuff, although I just have the handle done on mine, with self-amalg on the rest of the shaft.

For those above who find self-amalgamating tape too tacky, search for non-tacky stuff. It comes in various degrees of stickyness. Fixman's non-tacky tape has zero tack to it but sticks to itself, it was too slippy for me - I prefer a medium tackyness myself!

Bottom Clinger 10 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> if you keep them separate for a few trips they soon collect enough fluff and pubes 

Ice axes aren’t designed for that sort of behaviour. Pop  into Ann Summers and get the right tool for the job. 

Fiona Reid 10 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

I wish we had a laugh button 😀

HardenClimber 10 Mar 2024
In reply to CurlyStevo:

When newly applied dust the self amalgamating with some chalk..that stops it sticking to the other tool etc.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...