UKC

INTERVIEW: Catherine Destivelle - Rock Queen

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Articles 08 Mar 2024

On International Women's Day, Anna Fleming speaks to French climbing icon Catherine Destivelle about her evolving career, subverting stereotypes and her respect for British climbing and its culture... 

Since she began climbing in the 1970s, Catherine Destivelle has recorded a diverse and highly successful career, from hard sport climbs to world championship titles and alpine feats involving first ascents across the globe. In the '90s, Destivelle's achievements and her reputation for bold solos as a woman in a male-dominated scene attracted mainstream media interest and made her one of the most famous climbers in the world. Now aged 63 and based near Chamonix, Destivelle balances climbing for enjoyment with her mountain book publishing company, Éditions du Mont Blanc.

Read more

shaun walby 09 Mar 2024
In reply to UKC Articles:

Legend...my fav climber of all time.

Niall Grimes 09 Mar 2024

That’s great. What a star ⭐️ 

wbo2 09 Mar 2024

It's easy to forget how damn good she is at climbing

Briggsy 09 Mar 2024

Great article, Anne, thanks so much for taking the time to speak with her and documenting it. A remarkable human being and climber.

iantoday 15 Mar 2024

Really nice read, great to see such a legend still getting media attention. 

Mark Kemball 15 Mar 2024

Great article, thanks.

salathe 15 Mar 2024

Superb interview ahh happy days how my climbing mates and I idolised ( and still do ) Catherine, a remarkable story and human being, so talented, forward-looking and brave. Proper badass as they say. A legend.

Marmotman 30 Mar 2024

Great article about a genuine legend.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...