UKC

Parking for a day trip to London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pasbury 18 Mar 2024

I'm going to London on Sunday and looking for a place to park near a transport link into the centre and don't mind paying a few quid. Driving down the M4 in a ULEZ compliant vehicle. I'd like to get a bit closer than Reading. Any outlying tube stations with big car parks? It'd be nice to have a plan rather than just take my chances.

Neil Williams 18 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

Slough and take the Elizabeth Line in?

GEd_83 18 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

We always use Stanmore Station. It's only a few mins drive away from the M25. We then use the JustPark app to park on someone's drive on Merrion Avenue. Last time we went in July it cost us £34 to park from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon. Two minute walk to Stanmore from anywhere on Merrion Avenue, and it's a direct line into central London.

Alkis 18 Mar 2024
In reply to GEd_83:

I use Stanmore too. More recently I used Potters Bar, which ended up being cheaper. I come down the M1 though, surely there's something closer on the M4 side?

gld73 18 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

I used to live in Gloucester and Swindon; if I was heading in to London on my own I'd get the train from those places, but if there were a few of us, we'd go in the car to Richmond and get the tube or train in from there.

No point in me giving info on parking as it was years ago so my places/prices will be well out of date, but it should be easy enough to find current info online?

montyjohn 18 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

If you're after free parking, it's quite common on residential roads in Zone 6. If you drive to West Drayton and don't mind a 10 minute walk to the train station there'll be plenty of free parking.

Fredt 18 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

I always park at Waitrose in Rickmansworth, 2 minutes walk to the Metropolitan Line station.

In reply to montyjohn:

> If you're after free parking, it's quite common on residential roads in Zone 6. If you drive to West Drayton and don't mind a 10 minute walk to the train station there'll be plenty of free parking.

I've done that several times when coming in to london from Oxford down the M40, park near ruislip and get the tube in. Also done similar with a bike in my car, parked near northolt and and cycled in along the gran union canal. Traffic free most of the way to paddington. 

Never had a problem finding free parking at weekends if you drive round a few streets. Some streets near stations especially are resident only parking midweek daytimes.

seankenny 18 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

If you want to find out which streets are permit only parking and when then forget looking at council websites, just use google maps street view and find a sign. It’s pretty reliable. 

I live close to the M4 and close to an Elizabeth Line station, and parking at the weekend is fine. You do need to check tho whether the EL is working as it’s often down on a Sunday. 

mark20 18 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

I've used yourparkingspace.co.uk a few times, finding a convenient driveway at the bottom of the M1, near a suitable tube line for where I'm going. 

oldmanrivers 20 Mar 2024
In reply to pasbury:

Westfield parking charges are quite reasonable. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...