UKC

Which mid-size bouldering mat in 2024?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 mattrm 01 Apr 2024

Looking for a mid-size (could be tempted by a larger pad) bouldering pad.  Obviously most interested in it being decent foam and with a nice carrying system.  A method to cover up the carrying straps, some kind of limited carrying capability and a method of attaching a second pad to it are all nice to haves.

I'm thinking at that a mid-size pad would probably be fine for solo bouldering.  I can get a larger pad if needed, hence the ability to connect pads together being nice.  But I suspect I'll get a small pad first, if I do get another pad.

I feel like either a Moon Warrior or an Organic Full Pad seem to tick most of the boxes there.  Any other suggestions?

Post edited at 21:05
 Cake 03 Apr 2024
In reply to mattrm:

I reckon the ocun dominator is the best mid-size pad at the moment because you can replace the individual bits of foam in the squashy layer with your own cheap bits later. It is also very thick to start with.

In reply to mattrm:

I don’t know where the years have gone in between me writing this review and me writing this post, but what I do know is that I doubt I’d say much different from what I did back then. I’m still using a fair few of the pads we reviewed within it too, which gives a good indication of their longevity. 

Tangents aside, here’s a link to the group test we wrote back in 2018: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/bouldering_mats/mid-sized_boulderi...

OP mattrm 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Cake:

I'll take a look at that.  Thanks.

OP mattrm 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks for the response.  I'd had a look at the article.  I was really wondering if there were any new pads that I ought to look at.  Kinda feels like not and that all the people selling big squares of foam are in the market now and that they don't change the design of aforementioned big squares of foam often.

mmclaggan 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Cake:

The flexibility of the Ocun Dominator being able to switch its shape to long (for traverses) or normal is also very useful. I've found it to be a fantastic pad for solo bouldering being light and thick, and I often pair it nicely with a Moon Warrior for extra security. I'd very strongly recommend the Dominator - I don't see anything better than it.

In reply to mattrm:

Have a look at the Flashed Drifter pad - great foam, tough materials, comfortable carrying system and easy to lash more pads on to it.

I've been using the Big Squishy version for 18 months or so and it has been fantastic.

OP mattrm 09 Apr 2024
In reply to mattrm:

I ended up with an Ocun Dominator.  Now lets hope for some nicer weather so I can get out and try it.  Thanks to everyone for their help.

Nutty 10 Apr 2024
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Any chance of a review of the Core Climbing pads? I would have thought that a review of their pads, made in Sheffield, would be of interest to quite a few people.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...