UKC

Trekking poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
krisw 12 Apr 2004
Ok. so not strictly climbing gear. Am thinking of buying some trekking poles as everyone I know who use them swears by them. Was wondering if anyone has used the ones with the slightly angled handle? Is is worth it or are the staight ones better?
cheers
 Dave80 12 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw: The ones I've got have angled handles and I prefer them that way but its personal choice. Same goes with what the handles are made of. The only thing that I would say is worth forking out the extra for is getting ones with shock absorbsion, the rest is all personal choice.
MarcoP 12 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw:

The whole point of the angled handle is so that your wrists rest at a more natural position which relieves stress on them so these should be better!

Also definitely go for the shock absorption system because it makes them so much more comfortable to use and if you go for Leki poles it can be turned off for those times when its not useful.
 Robbie H 12 Apr 2004
In reply to MarcoP:
> (In reply to krisw)

> Also definitely go for the shock absorption system because it makes them so much more comfortable to use and if you go for Leki poles it can be turned off for those times when its not useful.

I'd say bin the shock absorption and just get the lightest poles you can find.

OP will77 13 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw:

whatever you choose, you will be glad you got them. I can't believe shock absorption makes much difference.
 tony 13 Apr 2004
In reply to Robbie H:
> I'd say bin the shock absorption and just get the lightest poles you can find.

I'd agree. I've got shock absorption, and I really don't believe it makes any difference.
 Rob Naylor 13 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw:

I deliberately didn't get the shock absorption models. I want to feel nice solid support when I plant them! Tried shock-absorbers and just didn't see the point really.

I rely on mine in descent, and "give" in them is the last thing I want.
 David Hooper 13 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw: Couldnt be without poles. Wish they were around when I was in my 20's so I still had knees. Rubber handls can blister so pay the extra for cork composite. Straight handles pack away shorter but curved ones slightly more comfy and "natural". On a long jarring descent shock absorbers help your wrists and on top leki poles u can lock the shock absoprtion on or off any way. Buy the best you can afford- I got cheap ones and traded them up after about 3 months. P.S. If planning a big trek abroad - carry a small spare parts kit.
krisw 13 Apr 2004
In reply to David Hooper:
Thanks for the advice, I'll see what deals I can find!
 CENSORED 13 Apr 2004
In reply to David Hooper:
> P.S. If planning a big trek abroad - carry a small spare parts kit.

Or buy flicklocks!
OP Littlecubatwork 14 Apr 2004
In reply to Robbie H:
> >
> I'd say bin the shock absorption and just get the lightest poles you can find.

I have Leki poles and you can't turn off the shock absorbers and whilst they're great for boinging along when walking uphill they're a real pain/danger if you're using them on rock/alpine/mountain conditions when you want to be able to plant them as sturdily as possible (as someone else said) without any annoying bounce affecting your balance.

Don't use them for downhill myself, just heaving myself uphill easier.

Get light ones and definately get ones that pack up really short - mine are far too long and cause all sorts of havoc and get caught when strapped onto back of sack when climbing/scrambling, etc.

The ones that I have have flat-topped handles as well as round ones beneath - find them really good and don't hurt wrists at all: you can put a lot of weight through them and it gives a good choice of hand positiion rather than just a fist grip.

OP will77 14 Apr 2004

I just use Leki Makalu Classics. Seem to do the job. Nothing flash!
 Doug 14 Apr 2004
In reply to Littlecubatwork:
I just use my (adjustable) ski poles, that way one bit of gear has two uses, they're straight & don't have shock absorbers but work fine. Have a pair of two section Lekis & also 3 section Black diamond - the BD flicklock type (but made by Gipron who also sell them) seem less prone to collapsing once correctly set up than the other type.

3 section are probably a little heavier but easier to pack when not wanted.
MarcoP 15 Apr 2004

Are you sure you cant turn off the shock absorbers? If theyre a current/recent model then you should be able to.

The lock off can be seen if you take the middle section of the pole out of the handle section.
David Selby 15 Apr 2004

I knormaly have ankle problems while walking, but since i bought a pair of leki super makalu, i managed a three week 450km hike round wales with no problems, the suspension can be set to hard soft or non-existent. I have found the rubber handles can blister, so i would recommend the cork. best of luck

Dave
 Andy S 15 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw: Having always used straight handles, I would actually recommend the angled handles. My wrists do feel it a bit because most of the stress comes when going downhill with your poles in front of you. It therefore makes sense that an angled handle would be more vertical at that point in time, therefore loading your wrist in a better position.

Oh, and get two. You'll never look back. If you hill-walk with a heavy pack, particularly, this is suicide for your knees without poles (two!).
 sutty 15 Apr 2004
In reply to David Selby:

Get some cycling gloves to stop the sweating, or some from the disabled shop they use for wheelchairs.
OP Anonymous 16 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw: Best poles I've ever had a re the cheap ones from Rock and Run, they are made by Gipron who make the BD ones, but are significantly cheeper. Also the locking mechanism doesn't wear out when the ineer of the pole corrodes as they're flick locks, also means they don't freeze open/shut in winter!
 GrahamD 16 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw:

I don't use poles that much (certainly probably not as much as I should) but when I do use them, I've been happy enough with the cheapest ones in the shop. I mean - how complicated do you need to make a walking stick ?

PS Everyone I know who bought shock absorbing ones regretted it.
The Voice of Reason 16 Apr 2004
In reply to Anonymous: I'd agree R&R Gipron flicklocks, best VFM poles I've ever had!!
OP Dave Crooks 16 Apr 2004
In reply to krisw:

Decathlon are doing a quite adequate set of poles for £6.99 each.
 Dave Stelmach 16 Apr 2004
In reply to GrahamD: I agree. I bought a pair of Leki shock-absorbing poles & find they feel less secure when moving downhill. I always set them on 'rigid'. I've also found the Leki titanium poles to be excellent, but they are susceptible to corrosion inside the tubes.
SteveM 16 Apr 2004
In reply to Robbie H:

Seconded. After you've put the miles in with poles, you don't need the extra weight. Makula titaniums have been my favourites and they've taken me to Mount Kenya and EBC.

Nick Tyler 07 May 2004
In reply to SteveM: I agree with the light weight bit, a pair of Leki (or equivelant) titanium poles, with out shock absorber will do the trick perfectly. Also, shock absorbers seem a bit OTT, the poles have a fair old bit of "whip" to them anyways, which I am sure will deaden any major vibration. The only time shock absorbers might be of any value is when you are part of a OAP's coach trip to Ramble around Ambleside, and all those pavement miles start to play havoc on your old joints!
ceri 07 May 2004
In reply to krisw: also for cheap poles, joe browns are selling a pair for £20.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...