UKC

Another Tragedy for Dorset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In what is proving to be a terrible time for Dorset climbers we received word today of another tragedy. Late last month Damian Cook drowned in Mallorca, and this weekend the popular Dorset climber Brian Tilly was killed while working in Baghdad. He was coming to the end of a 5 month period of security work minding contract workers in the city when gunman burst in to the house they were using and killed all those inside.

Our sympathy goes to his relatives and friends.

UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 UKC News 17 May 2004
This is particularly poignant when you realise that one of the last interactions Brian had with UK climbers was to post his condolences on the thread about Daimian Cook last Wednesday - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=83722#1142102
ed 17 May 2004
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX: Awful
 Skyfall 17 May 2004
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX:

I knew Brian quite well for a brief period as he acted as a medic on an expedition I was on in Nepal. Subsequently I also climbed with him in Scotland. Great guy. Very sad loss. Wish I'd known him better. Wish I could say more, but I feel very sad about this. Condolences to his close friends and family.

Jon
JD 17 May 2004

A complete legend, the big man will be sadly missed. my thoughts are with Elaine, his family and friends.
James.
Steve Taylor at work 18 May 2004

What a tragic loss.

I never got to know him well, but he was an inspiration to many down here. The guy was a total legend.
 Al Evans 18 May 2004
In reply to Steve Taylor at work: Absolutely tragic, I never met him but we knew him by repute and always used to joke that the Tilly Whim Caves were named after him. This is a tragic loss to his family and friends, and indeed climbers in general feel close because he was one of us, we still need to remember that others who we dont know are dying daily at the hands of Muslim extremists and give our thoughts to those too. Great condolences to his family and friends.
The Voice of Reason 18 May 2004
In reply to Al Evans: It's a shame when anyone dies, whether at the hands of muslim extremists, Irish republicans, Loyalist paramilitaries, state sanctioned assasinations, the police actions of the worlds most powerfuls state or run over by a bus!

Condolences to his family and friends
Reported in the Times Online this morning - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-6047-1110774,00.html (scroll down to the bottom of the page)

FORMER Royal Marine has been shot dead in Iraq while working as a private contractor (Michael Evans writes).

Brian Tilley had been due home on Wednesday but missed his flight and was waiting for another.

Sources said that a gunman had walked into the house where Mr Tilley was staying and opened fire.

Mr Tilley is believed to have served in the first Gulf war in 1991. He left the Royal Marines Special Boat Squadron about two years ago, and had been based in Baghdad for 14 months. Mr Tilley set up his own company called Peak after leaving the Royal Marines, and was believed to be working with an Egyptian company on a communications project. His partner in the company is also a former SBS member.

The Foreign Office said last night that it was aware of the death of a British citizen but could not confirm his identity.

DaveR 19 May 2004
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX: Huge article on page three of the Times today with comprehensive comment from Pete Oxley, and even a soundbite from this thread.

Very sad news indeed.
 Climber_Bill 19 May 2004
Brian was very unassuming of his own talents and achievements. It was always a pleasure to be out climbing with Brian around. He was always up for fun and a good bit of piss taking was always on the cards.
His experience, confidence and ease of manner always made you feel as though a little more was possible.

Due to work commitments, Brian had not been around much in the last couple of years, but his latest adventures were regularly talked about.

Condolences to his loved ones and family.

Brian will always be remembered and a part of the climbing history and folklore at Swanage and Portland.

Rich White
Kipper 19 May 2004
In reply to DougG:

The sad news is also the front page of today's Derby evening telegraph :-

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?command=newPage&nodeI...
Emma Joseph 19 May 2004
In reply to JD:

I'm a reporter at the Daily Echo newspaper in Bournemouth and we are doing a story on the tragic death of Brian Tilley.

We are trying to contact any family or close friends who would be interested in doing a tribute piece to Brian in the paper.

If you could spread the word it would be much appreciated. I can be contacted on 01202 675413 or by emailing emma.joseph@bournemouthecho.co.uk

Many thanks,

Emma
J Cook 19 May 2004

Brian was a side of the local scene who is irreplacable. Incredibly friendly and easy going, and admired by everyone who knew him. It was always an unexpected pleasure to meet him at the crag. It's going to be very sad to know that possibility has gone. A wonderful bloke.
Andy Currey 19 May 2004
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX: I knew Brian from Baghdad and Kuwait, and although we've never climbed together he had promised to show me 'how to climb properly' when we were both in the uk at the same time. My condolences to Elaine and all his close friends and climbing partners. One of the few people in the world you can truly describe as 'great'.

Andy
(Pigeon)
John Nash 19 May 2004
Gentlemen, I am a working colleague and close personal friend of Brian's....we are arranging an unofficial get together on Thursday 20/05/04 at a popular local public house haunt of his? If anybody would like to attend please contact John Nash on 07786168758. Please can you disperse this information throughout the Climbing circles? All are welcome, regards John.
Paul Saunders (at work) 19 May 2004

It somehow seems worse, because a death doing our sport within our sport is less unexpected, although no less a tragedy. Here the "wider world" steals a life. Brings the issues home to me. Strange how just the fact that he was a climber makes this death of a stranger more personal to me.

My thoughts are with his family and friends, and I'm wondering if I ever climbed any routes he did.
George Morgan 20 May 2004
In reply to John Nash:

John - please raise a glass to Brian's memory this evening from the guys in the UAE who are devastated at the news of the loss of Brian - a great mate to many such a tragic loss - our thoughts are with Elaine and his family
Anonymous 22 May 2004

I have only known BRIAN for 14 months whilst working in Bagdad, although it seems like I have known him a long time. His philosophy towards life was work hard, play hard!
and his personality was larger than life itself. I feel a deep lose as do we all, but I also rejoyce in having the privelige to call him my friend.

Anonymous 24 May 2004
In reply to Anonymous:
I wish to also remain anonymous. I was privelidged to know Brian for several years, I now pray for his soul.
May he rest in peace. He was unique.
D.A. 24 May 2004

I had the great priviledge on working with Brian over the last 10 years. He was a great man and a great friend. In his typically unassuming manner, he constantly thrived on challenging himself and those around him.

I climbed with Brian in Dorset, Africa and Alaska, or should I say I attempted to climb with Brian. Brian was a monster on the rock. Even at 10 years my senior he would put me to shame on the rock and in the gym.

Brian lived for the challenge, constantly pushing himself, and constantly helping others to push themselves.

Wherever Brian is now there is one thing for sure, there will be a lot of people talking about what they have done, and what they have achieved. Brian won't be listening. He'll be deciding what to climb next.

John Nash 26 May 2004
In reply to George Morgan:
> (In reply to John Nash)
>
> John - please raise a glass to Brian's memory this evening from the guys in the UAE who are devastated at the news of the loss of Brian - a great mate to many such a tragic loss - our thoughts are with Elaine and his family

George i didnt get your message until late. He had a good send off on the 20th and the response to his funeral has been astonishing. The wake is at the mess and i will raise a glass for you and the lads in the UAE at a relevant part of the proceedings. Take care big fella, Nice to hear from you, Hi to all, John..
Barney 02 Jun 2004
> In what is proving to be a terrible time for Dorset climbers we received word today of another tragedy. Late last month Damian Cook drowned in Mallorca, and this weekend the popular Dorset climber Brian Tilly was killed while working in Baghdad. He was coming to the end of a 5 month period of security work minding contract workers in the city when gunman burst in to the house they were using and killed all those inside.
>
> Our sympathy goes to his relatives and friends.
>
> UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

Our condolances to all the family from the Line Access Team at the MSU.
I new Brian from my previous employment in the Corps, and had great respect for him. I was shocked to here the news via another ex booty only four days ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...