UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Airport Wall - A New Zealand Big Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 09 Jun 2023

Top New Zealand climbers, Dan Joll and Karl 'Merry' Schimanski had both been looking at the Airport Wall in Fiordland for over 20 years. As a culmination of their careers as climbers, this is the story of patience, determination and perseverance. Airport Wall follows the unfolding of one of New Zealand's first big wall climbs:

Read more

Michael Gordon 09 Jun 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Great film, really enjoyed that. Looks a fantastic route!

LeeWood 09 Jun 2023
In reply to UKC News:

V adventurous ! I missed the rock type - did anyone else hear it named ??

damowilk 10 Jun 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

The Darrans rock is granite, specifically diorite. Some of the best, most solid rock in NZ. 

LeeWood 10 Jun 2023
In reply to damowilk:

Thanks ! Just searched out the topo - to discover that this is almost old news - the video concerns the route: Mile High Club

https://www.alpineteam.co.nz/post/mile-high-club-700m-22-pitches-26-27-airp...

Since which a 2nd line has been added: The Dreamliner

https://www.alpineteam.co.nz/post/the-dreamliner-airport-wall-milford-sound

topos are presented for both routes on these web pages

Dated 2021 - maybe a third line is already under research ??

olddirtydoggy 10 Jun 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Great vid to watch but what really blew my brains was that they managed to get a dry day in Milford Sound?????

Lankyman 10 Jun 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Great vid to watch but what really blew my brains was that they managed to get a dry day in Milford Sound?????

Did they suffer with sandflies? I've walked in Fiordland (including Milford) and they've been on a par with midges.

LeeWood 10 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> Did they suffer with sandflies? I've walked in Fiordland (including Milford) and they've been on a par with midges.

On a par ?! gnat bites leave a micro sting next to reaction of the larger sandfly; I suffered them during Stewart Island trekking; hopefully for climbers their habitat is strictly in agreement with their name - so you leave them behind at the beach.

Post edited at 12:35
 mcawle 10 Jun 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

Nope…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...