UKC

NEWS: Climate Activists Take to Dumbarton Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 03 Nov 2021

As COP26 kicked off this week in Glasgow, a group of climbers made a striking addition to the plethora of messaging on climate action which now fills the city. Helped by activists from Extinction Rebellion, the group used the Glasgow area's most famous climbing venue, Dumbarton Rock, to stage a message to the leaders at COP26 - "Climate On A Cliff Edge".

Read more

Quickdrawmgraw 04 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

If you are free on saturday 6th why not join the 'climbers for climate justice' block in the cop26 march for climate justice in sheffield . Meet at 12 at devonshire green, look for the placard and join the march . Its a demonstration of support for solving the climate crisis and starting natures recovery. 

MischaHY 04 Nov 2021

There's a 0.4 camalot behind that banner for the brave crag swagger. 

The Pylon King 04 Nov 2021

Maybe it will help stop climbers taking flights abroad.

Interesting standards. OK for a protest group to get in the way of climbing, not OK for a film crew.

Hmm

Robert Durran 04 Nov 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Interesting standards. OK for a protest group to get in the way of climbing, not OK for a film crew.

Yes, my mate flying in from California for he weekend psyched for his onsight attempt on Requiem might not be too happy.

raussmf 04 Nov 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

at least it might be partially dry?

Post edited at 16:56
 Wire Shark 04 Nov 2021

> Interesting standards. OK for a protest group to get in the way of climbing, not OK for a film crew.

> Hmm

Oh absolutely, because climate change and accelating species extinction combined with imminent threats to human life are EXACTLY the same as making some crappy movie.

On a totally separate issue, is it too early for nominations for most moronic UKC post of the year?

GrantM 04 Nov 2021

We were bouldering there on Monday, they got the banner & rigging down soon after the photo shoot so there wasn't any disruption. Same can't be said about the Rainbow Warrior:

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/19688902.cop26-erskine-bridge-clos... 

If anyone wanted a shot on a soaking wet Requiem (E8 6c) in high winds and cold temps, then I'm sure the activists would have moved immediately to watch the heroic ascent...

Post edited at 19:51
In reply to Wire Shark:

> On a totally separate issue, is it too early for nominations for most moronic UKC post of the year?

I am such a sucker for a reasoned argument. 😘

Some crag users are cool and it is OK for them to use the crag. Others are uncool it is not OK for them. 

A question I would like to see answered:

What if the demonstration was pro Brexit, edl or something equally abhorrent, would that be acceptable? 

Brian Pollock 04 Nov 2021

I think the negative reaction to your comment is founded on the basis it misses the point entirely and detracts from the issue at hand.

I expect the article has been published by UKC for the same reason the climbers involved took it upon themselves to do what they did - to raise awareness and promote discussion generally and within the climbing/ outdoor community of what is, arguably, the single most important issue facing all of us today.

Of course you are welcome to your opinions, but perhaps they are more appropriately aired in a new thread instead of piggybacking on this one.

If your 'point' doesn't merit its own thread or you can't be bothered, that says it all I suppose.

tehmarks 04 Nov 2021

> Okay for a group of climbers to get in the way of climbing, not OK for a film crew.

Fixed that for you.

> What if the demonstration was pro Brexit, edl or something equally abhorrent, would that be acceptable? 

Brexit is a contentious matter of opinion. Climate change is fact, and the only people who think it's a contentious matter of opinion are the 'heads that are going to make us all extinct.

john arran 05 Nov 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

I would respectfully point out that the days of being able to argue that Brexit positives may still exist, as a matter of credible opinion, are well and truly behind us.

muppetfilter 09 Nov 2021

That’s a very pretty nylon banner held in place by single use plastic cable ties put in place by climbers on nylon ropes wearing clothing made from fossil fuel derivatives … am I missing something here ?

Are fossil fuels only bad when other people use them ? 

Wire Shark 09 Nov 2021
In reply to muppetfilter:

> That’s a very pretty nylon banner held in place by single use plastic cable ties put in place by climbers on nylon ropes wearing clothing made from fossil fuel derivatives … am I missing something here ?

Functioning brain?  Thought we'd moved on from tedious tu quoque fallacies, but obviously not.

MeMeMe 09 Nov 2021

Not to mention how did they get to the crag?!

Unless they travelled by vehicles made of rainbows powered by their own farts then they are complete hypocrites and therefore climate change is brilliant. QED.

JLS 09 Nov 2021

>"am I missing something here ?"

I think it's just down living in the 21st century.

Had it been back in 1721, I'm sure they would have just lit a big bonfire on top of the Rock, to highlight increasing CO2 levels in the atmosphere. People eh? What are they like?

In any case, a mass extinction event will only create a new opening for other species to exploit. I can't see the harm myself.

Frank R. 11 Nov 2021

With the likes of ("you know who") "responding" (or rather, plainly trolling) on articles like this, I'd really appreciate if the UKC allowed personal blocking of all the Covidiots and Climadeniers outright. Add a simple button at least.

I don't want to see their posts, I don't want to interact with idiots or trolls, I just want to block them. Period. F*ck them. Let them just troll each other. Or even better, ban them outright, there is nothing they really add to any discussion at all.

Hey, make it a subscription feature and I am pretty sure your sub rates will go quite up...

In reply to tehmarks:

> Fixed that for you.

> > What if the demonstration was pro Brexit, edl or something equally abhorrent, would that be acceptable? 

> Brexit is a contentious matter of opinion. Climate change is fact, and the only people who think it's a contentious matter of opinion are the 'heads that are going to make us all extinct.

There's actually no consensus on climate change either. Only 98% of the scientific community agree on that subject. Some people! 🤷‍♂️

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...