UKC

NEWS: INTERVIEW: Climbers Against Cancer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Jan 2013
John Ellison and Molly Thompson-Smith having fun in London, 4 kbLancashire based climber John Ellison has recently launched the website ClimbersAgainstCancer.org. John, who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer is using his connections throughout the climbing world to raise money for cancer research charities.

In the following interview by Natalie Berry, we find out more about John Ellison and his Climbers Against Cancer organisation...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67759

pork pie girl 24 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:
my dad died of cancer just a few weeks ago, climbing and the people involved in it have really kepy me afloat through diffilcut times... my dad was an amazing man and a wonderful friend..

i think this idea is great ..i've bought a few of the t shirts.. like the colours too and like how it says DAD when you look in the mirror please let us all know if there are any climbing or actvity type events we could get involved in to help raise more money

big smiles

PPG xx
 Skyfall 24 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I too think this is a great idea and am inspired by the website. I'll definitely be buying t shirts. Anyone know if the sizes are roomy or not as I tend to fall between sizes?
 Gecko18 24 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: Sizes are failry smallish so I would go up a size if you're not too sure
 Skyfall 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Natty B:

Great, thanks for the response. Unfortunately the website doesn't seem to be working for me when I try to place an order. I'll keep checking and hopefully it will be ok soon.
 Slaney 24 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

thumbs up for this, definitely need to raise awareness for this horrid disease, my well wishes go out to you John Ellison and you have my support.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Has the shop been launched yet? I signed up to get informed when it was and haven't received anything, and the Shop link just gives me a connect error.
In reply to Toreador: I talked to John yesterday a couple of hours after it went live and he said he was already getting orders so I suspect it is getting too many hits and is broken
 russtyg 24 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: It was working this morning, then mens only were available and now its Kaput!

I hope it gets sorted soon to raise maximum money for this great cause.
 Denni 24 Jan 2013
In reply to russtyg:

Ordered one this morning then went to order one for the wee wife a wee while ago but can't seem to get onto the site.

Excellent money raising venture and for a very worthwhile cause. Hope you get a big wad of dosh!
My uncle is terminally ill with cancer, and he's day-to-day at the moment. Its awesome that there is a way to show support for those fighting cancer and also climbing at the same time! Its frustrating that the shop seems to be overloaded at the moment, but a good sign as well I suppose.
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: The Climbing Works and The Climbing Academy Bristol are selling the T-shirts on behalf of CAC. If you buy in-store from one of these walls then CAC doesn't have to pay postage. Neither The Works or TCA will make a penny out of this, we are doing it to support our good friend John's initiative.

NB The Works are nearly out of stock but will get a delivery on Monday
Good to hear! Its a shame I'm in Edinburgh then. =]
 Mark Collins 24 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: I think this is a great idea. However I wish Climbers Against Cancer didn't have the acronym of CAC, as this means excrement where I'm from:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cac-
That said, I've bought a T-shirt anyway as I think it's a great cause but probably won't be wearing it down the pub.
 steve taylor 25 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Good interview Nat.

John is a complete legend, inspiring me and many others over the last year with his outlook and attitude to his situation. Can't wait to get my hands on a CAC t-shirt or two.

Hope to see you soon John.
 Gazlynn 25 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Hopefully it's just the volume of traffic but I would like to support the cause by buying a couple of T shirts but get an error when clicking on the shop tag. am I the only one getting this error?

cheers

Gaz
In reply to steve taylor: 2nd March Steve, in the Broadie. You and Mick coming?
 ChrisJD 25 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Good luck with this John.

T shirt ordered and will be worn down the wall
 gingerwolf 25 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: Shop seems to be up and working now!

T-shirt bought - such an inspiring story, thank you John!
 Gecko18 25 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: Thanks Steve. Was talking about you and Mick here in France the other day. I hadn't realised Mick worked for Entre-Prises UK and in the same day I was explaining how I had met John at the NEC and Mick had just spoken to one of the EP France guys and told him he knew meā€¦that comp in Brum was the same time I met you pair as well! :P
 Rockmonkey1977 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Gazlynn:
Hi Gaz,

For me to access the website I had to disable a program I use called Peer Guardian as it was blocking the site- it does do this every now and then on some web pages for no apparent reason.

So if you're using anything similar (anti-virus etc) that may be the problem...
 koalapie 26 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: Great initiative, very inspiring. Strong energy, Max
 Tim Sparrow 26 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC News: T shirts for me and my wife ordered. We will wear with pride.
 steve taylor 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

If I'm around, I'll be there. I'll let you know closer to the date.
 mloskot 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Fantastic idea.

Major climbing media in Poland also spreading the word:

http://wspinanie.pl/serwis/201301/27-Climbers-Against-Cancer.php

All the best John!
 Mark Kemball 06 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Slightly off topic, but see http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=215 - Boscawen Point, to quote the guidebook:
"The route names reflect the black and brave humour of the principal first ascensionist, who made the ascents between bouts of punishing chemotherapy." (Sadly, the treatment was unsuccessful.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...