UKC

Leeds Walls advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exile 19 Jun 2023

One of my sons is off to Leeds to study in September. He is into bouldering and is also a keen gym user. He was hoping to save gym membership by joining a wall that also has a good free weight & gym machines set up - which do locals think would be the best for this? And are these suggestions the walls most frequented by students? 

Many thanks. 

afx22 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Exile:

Armley Depot, City Bloc and Last Sun Dance all have good gym areas.  The Lab and Pudsey Depot a little less so.  But overall, all of them are great facilities, with many pluses and a few minuses.

I’d suggest going to all of them before marking a membership commitment.

climbingpixie 19 Jun 2023
In reply to Exile:

The Lab is probably closest to the studenty areas but Armley Depot isn't that much further and has probably the most extensive gym facilities, as well as excellent boards. I don't like the setting there personally (too much compy/parkour bollox/compression/giant volumes stuff and very little variety) but that seems to be what indoor climbers want nowadays. I think Depot membership would cover all three sites in Leeds so gives the most flexibility.

Post edited at 16:10
 Adam Lincoln 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Exile:

Go for Depot membership and that will cover all their walls in Leeds. Armley, which has as good a gym as many commercial gyms. Pudsey, for old school original bouldering wall, and Leeds Big depot for routes.

OP Exile 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Exile:

Thanks for your help all, that's all very useful. 

In reply to Exile:

There are various gritstone walls in the University area that we enjoyed half a century ago

j_duds 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Exile:

Try them out before buying any membership. That'd be the fun way. Also several student/friend groups seem to go a wall together - so maybe see where the future friends go to?! 

Personally the Depot has 3 walls in Leeds, with the Depot Armley site (a large bouldering wall) and has a good gym. I do like to mix up my walls in winter and sometimes go City Bloc. 

climbingpixie 20 Jun 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

Henry Price is still there, chalk splattered and largely unrepointed. Perma-dry AND free, win-win as long as you don't mind being gawked at by inquisitive 18 year olds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...