Exped Downmat UL 7£145-195, added Oct/2013, see all Exped news & reviews
announcement by Exped
An ultralight version of the DownMat sporting identically high R-Values. Yet weight and packed size are in a league of their own. Inflation is fast and easy with the Schnozzel Pumpbag that doubles as a waterproof compression bag. All this at an incredibly compact size for it's warmth.
The goose down filling reduces heatloss dramatically. And the thick air cushioning combined with the lightweight polyester fabric is super comfortable and balances out any unevenness of the ground. As down is the most compressible filling with the highest loft properties it creates a phenomenally warm and compact mat.
The included Schnozzel Pumpbag enables swift inflation without moisture reaching the down as would be the case with lung inflation. It can also be used as a waterproof compression packsack.
Separators between the down filled baffles, unlike traditional airmat design, prevent cold spots and create thick, stable and extremely comfortable cushioning.
The DownMat UL has been awarded the coveted Outdoor Industry Award, the Editor's Choice from the German Outdoor Magazine and the Gold Award from the Dutch Op Pad outdoor magazine.
- Two flat valves, one for inflation and the other for deflation allow for quick and easy handling. Their flat design and positioning away from the mat's edge offers protection and enhance durability.>Internal barriers at both top and foot end prevent down shift between the baffles.
- The mat's fabric is a laminate of ultralight polyester and an absolutely airtight and moisture resistant TPU film. The upper face has a honeycomb structure with slip resistant properties that still allows for easy movement with a sleeping bag. Seams are high frequency welded for durability. Note that this fabric is not a puncture resistant as the one used on the standard versions of the mat and carries a 2 year warranty opposed to the 5 year warranty.
- Lightweight and warm: The DownMat UL 7 M for example has an R-Value of 5.9. A regular selfinflating 2.5 cm mat an R-Value of 2.5! Research by EMPA, the Swiss Federal Laboratory for Material Testing has shown that 3 x more heat is lost to the ground than the air. This means that a warm mat is more crucial than a warmer sleeping bag. Expeditionists have often told us that a DownMat saves them 20% in sleeping bag weight.
- The IDFL certified down is treated and moisture proof. The down does not originate from live pluck nor goose liver production.
|DownMat UL 7 XS||DownMat UL 7 S||Downmat UL 7 M||Downmat UL 7 LW|
|Size||120 x 52 x 7 cm||163 x 52 x 7 cm||183 x 52 x 7 cm||197 x 65 x 7 cm|
|Packed||23 x 9 cm||23 x 10 cm||23 x 11 cm||27 x 10 cm|
|Temperature||- 24ºC||- 24ºC||- 24ºC||- 24ºC|
|Fill||130 g 700 fill goose down||150 g 700 fill goose down||170 g 700 fill goose down||220 g 700 fill goose down|
* Schnozzel Pumpbag (60 g) included in weight.
The Downmat UL is also available in UL 9 M and LW versions with an R-Value of 8 and rated to -38ºC. More info from Exped here.
UK Exped stockists can be found here http://www.lyon.co.uk/outdoor/
|£135.00. Free express delivery in the UK|
See this product at the The Climbers' Shop shop
Gear News and Outdoor Industry News at UKC and UKH presents climbing, walking and mountaineering equipment and stories that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews and are provided by companies that advertise with UKClimbing Limited. Please feel free to comment about the stories and products on the associated thread.