UKC

Holcombe Quarries - development

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 24 Nov 2010
I hear the landowner has achieved planning permission from the Holcombe parish council to push ahead with his plans for a holiday park in the quarries. Quite what this entails I'm not exactly certain but I do know that there is talk of circa 50 holiday chalets. Does anybody have further information and is the area rep aware? I'm not sure who it is? Ian Butterworth? I know he was involved with the access negotiations at FCQ. Obviously the quarries have been subject to an ongoing restriction which is largely ignored, but this development could really put the kybosch on climbing...
 Didymus 24 Nov 2010
In reply to mike kann:
Yes, I'd like to know if you can still climb there at present - there's a few routes I have unfinished business with. Perhaps I ought to get over there sooner rather than later.
In reply to mike kann: I am the current access rep for Mendip & Somerset. The landowner has been given permission by Somerset and Mendip to build a holiday park consisting or something like 130 chalets across both Cookswood and Bector Wood quarries. I don't have a definite construction start date but I understand he is hoping to open next summer so presumably work will start soon.

You will be aware that the landowner has never given permission for climbing and has been actively anti climbing. You may still be able to 'sneak' in but may well be asked to leave from both Cookswood and Bector Woods i.e. the dry and wet sides.

There is an earlier thread on this http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=418208

Ian
Ian Butterworth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...