UKC

Inspiring coffee table books of the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OffshoreAndy 26 Aug 2008
Can someone please recommend me a book/books along the lines of hard rock, cold climbs to inspire me for trips to the Swiss / French Alps. Alpine routes, single pitch cragging whatever.
Cheers
Andy
 Marc C 27 Aug 2008
In reply to OffshoreAndy: Bit old now, but I've always loved Extreme Alpine Rock (Walter Pause & Jurgen Winkler). It's guaranteed to inspire!
 jim robertson 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Marc C:

I'll second that.
 DougG 27 Aug 2008
In reply to OffshoreAndy:

Dumler & Burkhard "High Mountains of the Alps".
Removed User 27 Aug 2008
In reply to OffshoreAndy: Mont Blanc Massif: 100 Greatest Routes - Gaston Rebuffat
 Al Evans 27 Aug 2008
In reply to DougG:
> (In reply to OffshoreAndy)
>
> Dumler & Burkhard "High Mountains of the Alps".

Not for cragging though but excellent for the mountains, I only have vol 1, did they ever do a vol 2?
Knitting Norah 27 Aug 2008

Voyage au Coeur du Mont Blanc / Journey to the Heart of Mont Blanc
by Pierre Tairraz - Mario Colonel

Fantastic photos and comments written on each page in both French and English. Very inspiring and a ver beautiful book.
 ericoides 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to DougG)
> [...]
>
> I only have vol 1, did they ever do a vol 2?

No, but Dumler has written many 'Wanderungen'-style guidebooks in German to various sub-ranges in the German-speaking areas of the Alps, as well as similar guidebooks to parts of Italy and Spain, and a book about Venice and its Doges.

Colin H 04 Sep 2008
In reply to OffshoreAndy: The Alps by Shiro Shirahata or The Magic of Mont Blanc by Bonatti. Just open the pages and pick a route!
colin H
 jim robertson 04 Sep 2008
In reply to Colin H:

Shiro Shirohata IMO captures the mountains in a way that is just breathtaking. The mountains are displayed in such a majestic fashion that any climber cannot fail to be drawn in and simply cry at the beauty of the lines available.
 The Bantam 05 Sep 2008

'High Mountains of the Alps' by Dumler and Bruckhadt is very good.

'Himalaya Alpine Style' by the sadly deceased Andy Fanshawe is superb.

Pouchers Alps photograph book is very nice.

Rebuffet's 'Mont Blanc Massif' is a classic.

'Mont Blanc: Discovery and Conquest of the Giant of the Alps' by Ardito is fasinating with lovely pictures and paintings.
 2pints 05 Sep 2008
In reply to Removed User:

Has that book been reprinted in colour yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...