UKC

Bluebell time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 02 May 2024

After exercising my democratic right I thought 'how can I top that?'. I went for a walk through a bluebell wood not too far away. If you're unfortunate enough not to live in Lancashire don't worry, there are probably places near you where you can go and see them. But don't leave it too long.

bouldery bits 02 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Lush.

In reply to Lankyman:

The ones in a beautiful old cemetery near me are almost done, as are the ones in my back, north facing garden.

Post edited at 16:09
OP Lankyman 02 May 2024
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Yes, they don't last long once they reach their peak. The ones I saw last week in Argyll were less advanced than my local ones.

montyjohn 02 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

They've been out for maybe three or four weeks my way.  Probably peaked two weeks ago. I don't think they have long left.

Bottom Clinger 02 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

North Wigan few weekends ago. That many you could get the scent off them. 

pasbury 02 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

I love this time of year. Bluebells, wild garlic, cowslips and early purple orchids in the Wye valley. Can the sun come out please...

Hawthorn blossom out soon, it was spectacular last year.

jiminy483 02 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Was looking at the fresh blue bells yesterday and couldn't help thinking - they're purple

OP Lankyman 02 May 2024
In reply to jiminy483:

> Was looking at the fresh blue bells yesterday and couldn't help thinking - they're purple

except for the white ones

OP Lankyman 02 May 2024
In reply to pasbury:

> I love this time of year. Bluebells, wild garlic, cowslips and early purple orchids in the Wye valley. Can the sun come out please...

We had it good in Lancashire today, 23 C in Southport, warmest day of the year so far. Not so much foliage yet on the trees so sunlight can get through to the forest floor. It was obvious though how wet it's been for months since many places are still soft or boggy underfoot. Yesterday I went along my nearest path for the first time since it was frozen last December. It's been like a quagmire for months.

girlymonkey 02 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

I heard on the radio yesterday (the QI elves were on R2), that apparently spring moves up the country at 2 miles per hour!!

Yes, the Argyll ones are starting to ramp up now, but definitely behind some of the photos on here

OP Lankyman 03 May 2024
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Yes, the Argyll ones are starting to ramp up now, but definitely behind some of the photos on here

When I was driving north past Inveraray last weekend, the bluebells above the road were very vivid. It's quite distracting!

Fat Bumbly 2.0 03 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Almost a rarity in East Lothian.

Michael Hood 03 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

The goodies...

English bluebells (although these are actually in Wales), curve over like a shepherd's crook, very white stamens etc.

And a red squirrel 

Michael Hood 03 May 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

The baddies...

Spanish bluebells, straight, not so white stamens etc.

Not got a photo of a grey squirrel so here's another one of the red because it's so cute

Robert Durran 03 May 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

> Almost a rarity in East Lothian.

Half out in Midlothian.

OP Lankyman 05 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Wild garlic is out flowering in profusion as well now.

Bottom Clinger 06 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Above Whitemoss today. Ramsons galore as well - been munching a few.  

felt 06 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Rhododendron time at a soaking Sausage Festival at Muncaster on Saturday.

streapadair 06 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Made a fine bed for the auld dug.

OP Lankyman 06 May 2024
In reply to felt:

> Sausage Festival at Muncaster

Sounds like something by Half Man Half Biscuit

pasbury 06 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

I've just spotted a leaf rosette in a pot in the garden, it looks very much like a common spotted orchid!

I'd certainly be chuffed if it was. There are orchids of this species in the area but I don't know of any close by. Anyone else had any such self seeded luck?

Bottom Clinger 06 May 2024
In reply to pasbury:

> I've just spotted a leaf rosette in a pot in the garden, it looks very much like a common spotted orchid!

> I'd certainly be chuffed if it was. There are orchids of this species in the area but I don't know of any close by. Anyone else had any such self seeded luck?

Yes, on the grass verge at the side of my house, north Wigan. Spotted orchid X 2.  

In reply to Lankyman:

> Sounds like something by Half Man Half Biscuit

I misread the capitalisation initially and thought felt had been to a Soaking Sausage festival. I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to ask what that entailed

Doug 07 May 2024
In reply to pasbury:

We had a lizard orchid in flower once, summer 2020 when our shared 'lawn' wasn't mown till late summer here in the French Alps. Not been seen since but our neighbours (small block of flats) insist on mowing too early for it to flower.

CantClimbTom 07 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Had to rush to work after voting, so saw no bluebells. My preferred candidate Count Binface (https://www.countbinface.com/) was cheated out of his rightful role as Mayor of London (well to be  pedantic.. Chief Executive of the Greater London Association). So my day was far more disappointing  than yours by the sound of it. Establishment conspiracy and cover up. Fake votes fake votes!!!! Let's dress up as Shamens and march on City Hall

OP Lankyman 08 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

A nice bank of them below St Patrick's Chapel on the headland at Heysham. It's a shame there was a cold breeze off the sea today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...