UKC

co codamol and alchohol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teflonpete 08 Jun 2014
Is it really that dangerous?
I've got the mother and father of all tooth abscesses and have consumed half a bottle of port, 2 sinutab and 2 ibuprofen in a bid to try and kill the pain enough to get some sleep. Mistress Teffers has got some old cocodamol knocking about but reckons they're a no no if you've consumed alchohol. Is that right or is she being over cautious?

Hi all, by the way, not been around for a few months, got made redundant and now have to work for a living so not much time to log on. Hope all my UKC chums are doing well and no serious dramas have unfolded for anyone.

Any tips on tooth pain relief without resorting to home dentistry with pliers will be gratefully recieved. ;0)
In reply to teflonpete:

Hey Pete, anything with codeine in it is dodgy when mixed with alcohol, very contra-indicated.

Codeine is dodgy full stop.
 Mr Lopez 08 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:
Reading the leaflet from co-codamol 30/500, it only says co-codamol "may increase the effects of alcohol", and to consult your doctor to ask him if he allows to do so, so it's your call really.

Edit: Found this online

Alcohol

Alcohol can interact with certain medicines.

In the case of Codeine/Paracetamol:

this medicine may increase the effects of alcohol

You should seek advice from your prescriber as to whether you may drink alcohol while taking this medicine.

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/medicineoverview.aspx?condition=pai...
Post edited at 02:58
OP teflonpete 08 Jun 2014
In reply to stroppygob and mr Lopez:

Cheers guys, I'll give the cocodomol a miss as last time I had that for sciatica it had some nasty side effects.

Whole bottle of port later, sinutab and ibuprofen kicked in, I think I might be able to get some sleep. Fingers crossed.

Cheers all.
 Choss 08 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

YAY... Petes Back! Hi Pete

with the alcohol and cocos, seems to depend on the individual. I think at worst youll get Seriously more Drunker?

Just dont Drink with Valium, youll wake up in a hedge miles From home with no idea how you got there

David55 08 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Co Codamol and alcohol: over the years I have seen several deaths caused by this combination. Avoid alcohol if taking any medication in which an opiate is included, as you may go into a very deep sleep from which you don't wake up.
Removed User 08 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

you might try oil of cloves-will sting like hell initially but should give some relief.
 Baron Weasel 08 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

My doctor recommended Guinness to counter the constipation of Co-Codamol - he is not a very good doctor though...
 wintertree 08 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:
Tooth pain at night is the pits. It's amazing how rapidly a rational man of science degenerates to trying herbal remedies suggested by the internet at 3am when all other avenues (baring a self extraction) are closed.

You may wish to look into ibuprofen+codeine which is also available over the counter, as well as paracetemol+codeine, aka co-codamol. As someone who has no problems with NSAIDS (e.g. ibuprofen, diclofenac) this is a much more palatable way of legally getting codeine in a sufficient dose (without a proscription), as I for one am less concerned about batching a days maximum allowance of ibuprofen up into an 8 hour sleep period than I am paracetemol. There are plenty of reasons why this is a horrifically dumb thing to do though.

Plenty of warnings abound on mixing opiates and alcohol, and making a regular habit of mixing NSAIDS and alcohol could speed up stomach ulcer formation etc.

You can try a non pharmacological approach of ice pack and hot packs on your face, and sometimes I try sucking very hard with my mouth closed, if it's a bad one you can taste the infection which must mean it's being drawn out... No sugar before bed, try and get food straight down your throat without contacting your teeth, drink only water, clean them thoroughly several hours before sleep then nil by mouth apart from water - starve the infection bacteria.
Post edited at 16:14
 crayefish 08 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Codiene... gooood

Alcohol... gooood

Codiene & alcohol... GOOOOOD
OP teflonpete 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:
> YAY... Petes Back! Hi Pete

Hey up mate, how's it going? You ticked off any of those sea stacks yet?

Lots of port and ibuprofen worked wonders last night and the old toothypegs have felt much better today, having a couple of pre-emptive beakers of port before hitting the sack tonight.

Won't be back on here for a few days again now, got made redundant from my desk jockey job at the end of March and spend most of my time working on the tools again on building sites now so no time to log on to UKC. Love it though, forgotten how much I enjoyed being on site and how much the old job was stifling me.

Cheers for the advice all, muchly appreciated. :0)

Post edited at 22:19
 KingStapo 09 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

If you need strong pain killers OTC, go for co-codomol and nurofen plus. One has paracetamol one has ibuprofen, each has like 8 or 12 mg codein. So total ibuprofen and parecetamol content is acceptable and codein content is within prescription doses.

Eat first though or you'll get a gripy belly or sometimes really quite bed belly/chest pain.

Alcohol and the above combo should be reserved strictly for recreational purposes. Assuming veging out on the sofa in a funk is recreational for you.

I am not a doctor or pharmacist. You should ignore all of the above
cragtaff 10 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

If you have an abscess then you have an infection that is causing the pain. All the analgesia in the world is not going to help, you need to treat the infection, go to the dentist or Doctor and get antibiotic prescription.
In reply to teflonpete:

Codeine + alcohol, at normal therapeutic doses and moderate consumption, is generally nothing to worry about. They are both CNS depressants so caution is advised.

Paracetamol + alcohol is a far worse idea unless you don't like your liver.

Ava Adore 10 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

At desperate times when the back is killing me, I've used prescription anti inflammatories, co codamol and a glass of wine. It did help but usually have a thick head the next day.
 butteredfrog 10 Jun 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Get yourself up to the hospital for antibiotics, should start to relieve things in a couple of hours. It also means your dentist can treat the cause, when you make it in to see them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...