UKC

Flowcoat on a camper van pop top

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mick Bradshaw 08 May 2024

The pop top on our van is 35+ years old and the surface has gone quite chalky - it's still watertight with no obvious delamination but lots of crazing. Does anyone have any experience of using flowcoat on similar surfaces (grp) or on boats - as this keeps cropping up when looking at solutions to prolong the life of the top and secure it's waterproofness? The top has vertical sides - will flowcoat adhere to these or just run off? Would I have to grind the whole roof back to remove the original gelcoat before I could apply flowcoat? The best way to apply flowcoat? Can I do part of the roof and then another part later - or would I need to do the whole thing in one go? Please drop me a DM if you can spare me some aggro and experimentation. Thanks

artif 08 May 2024
In reply to Mick Bradshaw:

Been a while since playing with boats, but flowcoat over cracks is a very short term fix, cracks will work through the flow coat very quickly. A real fix, is to sand off the gel coat and epoxy paint over it. 

jimtitt 08 May 2024
In reply to artif:

Yep, the coat underneath just keeps shrinking once it's crazed. For a camper top I'd use car wrap nowadays (they make it for boat hulls these days as well).

Pglossop 09 May 2024

The expert in this area (according to the T6 Forum users at least) is Tourershine. They could advise what’s possible. 

https://www.tourershine.co.uk/

OP Mick Bradshaw 09 May 2024

Thanks for those suggestions all - I hadn't thought of car wrap as an option but will look into that (although the roof isn't a flat surface but has dips moulded into it presumably to add strength so that might not work?) 

I'll get in touch with Tourershine to see what they suggest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...