UKC

Gradients

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 23 May 2016
I'm trying to compare the average gradients of two separate paths; path A and path B. Sods law they're on two separate maps of different scales.

Anyway path A rises 1362 feet in 1.59 miles and path B rises 1834 feet in 2 miles.

I'm not sure if I've used the correct arithmetic so I'd be grateful if any numerate UKCers could tell me what gradients they come out with( expressed as "one in X, Y or Z rather than percentage please)

Thanks.
 MG 23 May 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Your maps are presumably in m and km, in which case "unconvert" your measurements and do (height/(1000*distance) for your answer.
 Yanis Nayu 23 May 2016
In reply to FesteringSore

I reckon they're both about 1 in 6, but I expect I'm wrong.
OP FesteringSore 23 May 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I reckon they're both about 1 in 6, but I expect I'm wrong.
Not far out by my reckoning.

I made A 1 in 6.2 and B 1 in 5.7

Thanks.

Hi
Assuming that the miles figure is the horizontal distance which is what a map would show then the gradient is the miles figure (converted to feet by multiplying by 5280) divided by the height gain.
On this basis I make the first one 1 in 6.16 and the second 1 in 5.76.
I was told this wee reminder - Gradient = Tangent, Incline = Sine to distinguish the two different ways of referring to slopes.
OP FesteringSore 23 May 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> On this basis I make the first one 1 in 6.16 and the second 1 in 5.76.

Thanks. Tallies with mine and Yanis'
 marsbar 23 May 2016
I get the same as you. I converted everything to feet, divided vertical by horizontal to get decimal, x 100 to get % then used this converter.

http://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/massgrd.shtml

I'm sure that's not the easiest way!

Just realised that 1 in type gradient is the divide the other way up. D'Oh.
Post edited at 21:13
 pec 23 May 2016

> . . . ( expressed as "one in X, Y or Z rather than percentage please) >

Off topic (sorry) but does anybody actually think of gradients in percentage terms? Seems one of the most stupid ways of measuring things imaginable to me. If we had to changed all our road signs from "1 in X", (pointlessly because everybody understood them anyway) then surely changing them to degrees, the standard way to measure angles, would have made more sense.

Robert Durran 23 May 2016
In reply to pec:

> Off topic (sorry) but does anybody actually think of gradients in percentage terms? Seems one of the most stupid ways of measuring things imaginable to me.

Why? 23% means the road goes up 23m in 100m horizontally - height gained in a standard horizontal distance. Perfectly reasonable for comparisons and finer grained without using decimals than 1 in X.
XXXX 24 May 2016
In reply to pec:

Radians are surely the 'standard' way of measuring angles?

Regardless, using angles would cause confusion about whether you are measuring from the horizontal or vertical. I guess you could standardise for convention but that seems a bit more complicated than saying, the vertical height change is 16% of the horizontal distance.

marsbar 24 May 2016
In reply to pec:

I tend to think of decimals (or whole numbers for a steep one) because most of the time a gradient to me is of a graph not a hill. For example the gradient of y=2x has a gradient of 2. The joy of GCSE maths
 galpinos 24 May 2016
In reply to XXXX:

> Radians are surely the 'standard' way of measuring angles?

Not in the real world?

> Regardless, using angles would cause confusion about whether you are measuring from the horizontal or vertical. I guess you could standardise for convention but that seems a bit more complicated than saying, the vertical height change is 16% of the horizontal distance.

If you said it was a "45 degree slope" I think most people would know what you meant?

Robert Durran 24 May 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> If you said it was a "45 degree slope" I think most people would know what you meant?

I think that was the worst possible angle you could have chosen to make your point!

galpinos 24 May 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:
Having thought about it, I'd say a 1 in 5 slope is clearer than a 15 degree slope.

None of this is helping me update my progress figures though. Damn distractions......
Post edited at 10:53
 DancingOnRock 24 May 2016

When using a map you'll have to do two calculations because the horizontal distance you are measuring is flat horizontal and not 'along the slope'.

So first you have to find the angle:
angle = arctan(x/y) then convert it to gradient = sin(angle)

Then 1/gradient will give you the 1 in z figure.

I'm intrigued why you would want to differentiate a fairly minor amount of steepness, surely the biggest issue is what the path is like, i.e. what is the steepest section. No point walking for over a mile and then finding a vertical wall of 1000ft - your simple and easily understandable terminology of describing the route as a path indicates that it is a walk rather than a walk and a climb.
XXXX 24 May 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Was that a deliberate joke, choosing 45 degrees?

Giving an angle is meaningless unless you define a 0 degree direction from which to measure it. If you choose the horizontal then the angle will be different if you are at the top looking down or at the bottom looking up. (Unless it's 45)

Incidentally, hours, minutes and seconds are used more in everyday life than degrees.
OP FesteringSore 24 May 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

Curiosity
 pec 24 May 2016
In reply to XXXX:

> Regardless, using angles would cause confusion about whether you are measuring from the horizontal or vertical. >

Why on earth, in the context of a path or road, would you quote the angle from the vertical? It would be a totally idiotic thing to do since flat (horizontal) is the default from which a slope deviates, and anyway who could possibly imagine they could walk or drive up a 30 degree slope if that was measured from the vertical because common sense tells you that's really a 60 degree slope.

MeMeMe 25 May 2016
In reply to pec:

> Why on earth, in the context of a path or road, would you quote the angle from the vertical?

Well this is a climbing forum, it's all about the vertical round here

On the other hand the x in y terminology is pretty useless when faced with a vertical wall!
 pec 25 May 2016
In reply to MeMeMe:

> Well this is a climbing forum, it's all about the vertical round here

> On the other hand the x in y terminology is pretty useless when faced with a vertical wall! >

I was talking about road signs!

In reply to pec:

> I was talking about road signs!

Well if you are talking about road signs, why do we not use the following instead of some maths equation that most people need to convert in their mind;

Steep (covers anything from 1 in 8 to the following)
Very (covers anything from 1 in 4 to the following) - think Porlock Hill
Extremely (covers 1 in 3 to the following) - think Hardknott Pass
Dangerous (covers all the rest) - think Ffordd Penlech in Harlech

We could put % signs below the main signs to help people who don't have English as a first language.
This discussion has made me think about why gradient is a relevant concept. When I am walking I tend to think first about height gain and then look closely at the map to get an idea of steepness. It is the actual terrain that ultimately allows me to pace myself appropriately.
What do others think?
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I think we should just grade all climbs based on gradients.

In reply to L'Eeyore:
Hmmm - Tophet Wall & Devils Slide - same current grade but different gradients - this could make things very interesting. That appeals.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...