UKC

iPad screen smashed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 25 May 2014

Was singing along to Cyndi Lauper on YouTube ,and when I hit the high notes ,Apples finest couldnae take it.

I dropped it.and now I need a new screen.

Anyone tried this ,or should I give it to Apple to fix?
Post edited at 22:10
 nightclimber 25 May 2014
In reply to andymac:

My youngest daughter did something similar. Phoned the Apple "Genius bar", who said they would make any repair within a single appointment. They charged for a new screen, but gave me a new Ipad. Daughter was very happy with the result. Am not an Apple fan / user myself, but to be fair it was difficult to fault the service or approach.
 SFM 25 May 2014
In reply to andymac:

These guys were recommended to me for my smashed screen. https://www.foneangels.co.uk

<disclaimer> Not gotten round to sending it for repair yet.
 crustypunkuk 25 May 2014
In reply to andymac:

If you're as handy with smaller tools as you are with bigger ones, order a screen from fleabay and do it yourself. Bit of a c**t to ensure all the buttons and sensors line up correctly when reclosing it, but with a wee bit of electronic knowledge it is entirely possible for you to do it for lots cheaper than any company will charge.
andymac 25 May 2014
In reply to nightclimber:

That sounds like a result.
andymac 25 May 2014
In reply to SFM:
Seen their site. cheers.
Post edited at 23:19
andymac 25 May 2014
In reply to crustypunkuk:

> If you're as handy with smaller tools as you are with bigger ones, order a screen from fleabay and do it yourself. Bit of a c**t to ensure all the buttons and sensors line up correctly when reclosing it, but with a wee bit of electronic knowledge it is entirely possible for you to do it for lots cheaper than any company will charge.

Contemplating this.

Put a new screen on an iPhone 4 .even had some screws left over.

Is a heat gun necessary for removing the old screen?
 dek 25 May 2014
In reply to andymac:

I keep hearing if you take it into the Apple store, they often just give you a new one!
 crustypunkuk 25 May 2014
In reply to andymac:

meh.
I managed without one! There are a few video and text tutorials out there in interwebland to guide you along too.
It's also probably the easiest solution for you too, what with you being so far from civilisation!
andymac 26 May 2014
In reply to crustypunkuk:
> It's also probably the easiest solution for you too, what with you being so far from civilisation!

Tobermory isn't that far away. There are the beginnings of human civilisation there.

Anyway, maybe the Red Cross would put a screen on their next food drop.
Post edited at 00:05
 wilkie14c 26 May 2014
In reply to andymac:

You need some heat to soften the adhesive that holds the screen on, a hair drier will do the job but go very slowly, slowly prising up the screen all the way around. Once the screen is free from its hold on the frame, it'll fold over right to left like a book. You can't get at the ribbon cable until you've removed the 4 screws holding in the LCD and removed the LCD itself. Refitting is simply a reversal but you need to keep the LCD free of fingerprints and be sure the digitizer ribbon cable folds into the body correctly. A good 'how-to' guide on ifixit.com. These basic instructions are for the ipad 2 of which I've probably done 50 now, similar sort of thing for other models. Good luck!
Antigua 26 May 2014
In reply to dek:

> I keep hearing if you take it into the Apple store, they often just give you a new one!

Nothing personal but thats complete bullshit.

What actually happens is that you go into Apple hand over your broken iOS device along with a suitcase full of cash they then appear to give you a new device. Follow your old device and what actually happens is Apple repairs YOUR device using a new case and does a factory reset then it waits for another person with a suitcase full of cash and a broken iOS device to come in. It then hands them YOUR old repaired device. It then waits for people to post things on online forums saying how they got a NEW iOS device.
Antigua 26 May 2014
In reply to nightclimber:
> They charged for a new screen, but gave me a new Ipad.

See my reply to dek
Post edited at 13:45
 rj_townsend 26 May 2014
In reply to Antigua:

So what? Still seems better than "you broke it, so your problem" to me, provided the "suitcase full of cash" is less than you'd be paying for a new unit.
Antigua 26 May 2014
In reply to rj_townsend:

> So what? Still seems better than "you broke it, so your problem" to me, provided the "suitcase full of cash" is less than you'd be paying for a new unit.

So what? it might be the case that you want to keep the original because it was given to you as a present? or that you'd be pissed your week old broken iPad is replaced with a well used 11 month old one. Is there a possibility of your personal data being extracted by the new owner after its been factory reset?

Yes I agree Apple is very slick but so it should be for what it charges. A quick google shows a multitude of repairers that will do the same job for 300/400% less than Apple charges and from my experience the work is just as good.

You pays your money you take your choice.
 Blue Straggler 29 May 2014
In reply to Antigua:

> do the same job for 300/400% less than Apple charges

They pay you to let them make repairs?
ben_elphick 01 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Have a look on some websites, and if you think you up to it, order a new screen, and try and repair it yourself, it's more fun, interesting and economic than sending it off.
 adam 02 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Depends how broken it is. I had a single crack in mine and took it into the Apple store last week. They said it looked like it had been dropped, but as a it was a single crack they replaced the whole thing free of charge.
In reply to andymac:
> Was singing along to Cyndi Lauper on YouTube ,and when I hit the high notes ,Apples finest couldnae take it.
>
> I dropped it.and now I need a new screen.
>
> Anyone tried this ,or should I give it to Apple to fix?

Nope, I've never tried hitting Cindy Lauper's high notes, can Apple help?
 emmathefish 05 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

I THINK timpsons do replacement screens for ipads as well as iPhones, as I got mine replaced there. Mine cost £40, and Apple quoted me £140, so I saved £100. Although Im not bothered about my phone company not being able to send me a replacement phone, but you might want to go with Apple if you want any other repairs doing to you iPad, as your warranty is voided if you use any other service other than apple, and if you need a more serious repair, you might be a little stuck.
Jim C 05 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

I swapped a smartphone screen, much smaller, and a You Tube tutorial helped a lot.

Also my Daughter has lots of beauty tools like a range of tweezers that were ideal for the fiddly bits ( I have fat fingers)

Removed User 05 Jun 2014
In reply to ben_elphick:

> Have a look on some websites, and if you think you up to it, order a new screen, and try and repair it yourself, it's more fun, interesting and economic than sending it off.

Plus it's easy as hell to do. Go for this imo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...